Logo

5.7 GSi erradic revving

annapolis

I have a 5.7L GSi with a volvo Penta SX outdrive. Everything with the engine (idle, slow speeds) works fine until boat is put under high load / rpm's and I'm banking a turn (that is the really strange part to me). In this situation, the engine starts to rev up and down, up and down. the only way to get this situation corrected is to shut off the ignition. But I can then immediately start the engine back up again and everything is fine again (revving has stopped).

About 2 years ago, I had the high pressure fuel pump replaced. At the same time, we noticed that the screen for the vapor separation tank was clogged (thank you ethanol!). Anyway, this was a fairly costly repair and before I go down this path again, I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and if there was a different reason.

I've pumped out all the old fuel, added new fuel and an ethanol stabalizer, checked the fuel filter for water, so I think I'm down to a fuel pump issue and/or this VST screen being clogged again. Has anyone else seen this issue? It feels like one of these is the issue, but the "trigger" for the problem is really strange. Boat gets up on plane fine and will run with no issues under high pressure until I make a turn or we hit some larger wakes. I have about a quarter of a tank of fuel, so don't think I'm low. But if feels like the engine gets "starved for fuel" in this situation and once this happens, the engine starts revving and the computer can't correct itself even if the fuel comes back (it will keep revving even when I slow down and put in neutral -- again, the only way to correct it is to shut engine off and start it back up).

I don't feel I have a larger computer/electronics issue because the engine operates great in all conditions other than this one "trigger" situation. Sometimes when I'm trying to trigger the problem but can't, when i back it down to idle, i can hear a slight high-pitched whine, but the engine is idling fine. then the whine will eventually go away. Anyone have any thoughts? Does it sound like high-pressure pump and/or this screen in front of Vapor Separation Tank being clogged?

How are all the wires in the engine bay? I had some frayed wires before that were apparently grounding out somewhere when I hit some wakes. I taped them up and haven't had an issue since.

Back