Logo

5.0L GXi Knock Sensor

Msattert

Hi Guys,

First thread as only just joined the forum. I need to replace the knock sensor on my Volvo sterndrive 5.0 Gxi. In USA they are about $50 but here in Australia about $130, however I saw an identical one on ebay for a Holden V8 (Commodore VT) for $43.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Knock-se...560191?hash=item237436227f:g:8E8AAOSwcUBYLl3w

Are these knock sensors unique or are they all almost the same? They always talk about the Volvo's and Mercruisers being Chevy blocks, and I am guessing the Commodre V8 was too!

How can I be sure, or else who knows where to best buy Volvo parts in Australia, that don't charge you 3 times the price..

Regards

Last edited:
It is my understanding a knock senser is a knock senser. Are you sure it is the senser? Did you try cleaning the connector and inspect the wires close for bare,burnt or cracked insulation. Clean the connector good with electrical cleaner and use dielectric grease to put it back together. If it is a 1 wire does it have a good ground?

Yes, the sensor is actually still working I think(no retardation), but it is so rusted, the thread broke off and all the water from cooling system poured out! I was able to remove the rusted bits and re-thread the sensor in, but it is holding with only a few turns of thread! I have salt water only for cooling , so no surprise that a metal sensor would rust and corrode. Not sure why they connect the sensor to the block drain, just asking for trouble in my books, surely a knock would be felt from anywhere..

Back