Logo

5.0 MPI Mercruiser Engine Stall Issues

avalanche1962

Hello

I have 2004 Stingray DR220 with a 5.0MPI Mercruiser .

Problem #1: Sometimes when cruising around, the engine will just start sputtering and skipping and lose power until you stop completely, put it in neutral, wait just a second and re-engage into gear then carry on again. It never really shuts completely off until the engine gets really warmed up.

Problem #2: My boat is very hard to get up onto plane. You basically have to wait for the engine to change pitch for it to finally plane up. I know that sounds strange. You can WOT the engine and it still wont just take off like I thing it should. But like I said you can all of a sudden hear the engine change pitch and then it will take off.

Problem #3: After running the boat for an hour or so, When you stop and put into idle it shuts off. Starts right back up, but then shuts off as soon as you engage the drive. Almost like it no idled up enough. Does the engine just need a good servicing? Or does it sound like clogged injectors? or What? Yesterday was the worse once it came time to load the boat. Could not get it to shift into gear without it repeatedly shutting off. Had to load it with ropes.

I am sure hoping all of this in linked to just one problem. Like a good tune up or something.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

engine changes pitch cz it finally dug the boat out of the hole.
Seems like it is fuel starved. I assume it is carbureted not fuel injected. You can try running gas from a temporary tank to see if the problem's in the supply line. If it still sputters, and the fuel pump is good, then suspect the carb.

engine changes pitch cz it finally dug the boat out of the hole.
Seems like it is fuel starved. I assume it is carbureted not fuel injected. You can try running gas from a temporary tank to see if the problem's in the supply line. If it still sputters, and the fuel pump is good, then suspect the carb.

its multiport fuel injected

Back