Logo

4jh80 wont start

crholliday

2018 4jh80 wont start. We have ultraflex throttle controls at the helm which show no errors. Powers up but when the start button is pressed, all I get is the tiniest of clicks coming from somewhere in the motor (probably some kind of solenoid). I checked the lead that goes to the start solenoid -see attached pic- and with the engine powered on, it shows battery voltage; then it drops in voltage when the start button is pressed... that seems wrong to me? Anyone have any ideas?

5d53867c-f83f-488c-842c-7178603098c2_yanma.png

Update:

Pulled the relay and tested it as good. Tested voltage at the relay harness and the hot leg of the relay circuit is only showing 0.8v with the engine ON and when connected to the battery negative. The relay energizer legs show the correct voltage for On and Start which is consistent with the relay clicking when the start button is pressed. I have wired up a jump from the start solenoid small wire on one end that reaches to the battery + terminal so I can start the engine - tested and it works. Now I can either troubleshoot the relay hot wire (could be a mission) or I can run a new hot wire for that relay directly to the battery. Any words of wisdom on this crossroads?

Back