Logo

4HP 1976 Evinrude with 1981 Johnson pistons and head?

Diggs_Ut

I've had a 4HP 1981 Johnson twin for many years (converted to fuel pump and external tank) and have bought backup parts as I can find them inexpensively to ensure it has a long future. (I use the motor on the back of an 18' aluminum square-back canoe.)

Recently I purchased very cheaply a 1976 Evinrude 4HP twin as both a backup and for my brother's canoe. The seller said it was a 1981 Evinrude and thinking parts would be pretty much interchangeable it seemed a good idea.) But it is a 1976 and the 1976s regrettably have quite a few differences. The 1976 had a frozen piston in the bore, broken ring and a tiny slit in one piston from who knows what? Pistons are not available for the '76 but I have new ones for for the '81. After a quick hone I installed the '81 pistons in the '76 block (ring gap and all was good). Even though I had measured from wrist pin to piston crown as being identical the new pistons hit the head on the old block. (I can find no dimensional difference between the pistons other than the rings are in a slightly different place.) So, I put an '81 head on the '76 and it turns over fine. (All the mounting/cooling details are the same between the two heads just the internal profile is different giving the pistons clearance. I have not finished putting things back together or fired it up yet but wanted to throw a post up here and see if anyone has been down this road before. I know head clearance (bumper clearance) is a big deal and I have no idea what it should be and even how to measure it on something like this. At this point I'm just glad it turns over but....

Any thoughts???

Yes at least from the center of the pin upwards to both the piston top edge and the profile crown. I didn't check the skirt or anything from the pin downwards. The '76 and the '81 use different piston rods but I'm using the original '76 rods.

Just to add some clarity. The second picture below are the two pistons ('81 on left and '76 on right). I can find no dimensional difference other than the rings position and that shouldn't make any difference since the cylinder has been honed. The first picture shows the '76 head with a lobe (circled in red) filling in part of the head space. Why? I'm not sure but maybe to increase compression? That lobe is what hits the '81 piston and is not there on the '81 head.

Attachments

• 142538501a.jpg
    142538501a.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 142130682a.jpg
    142130682a.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 17
It looks like the dome on the '76 piston is shifted more right then the '81 and that's why the interference in the head

It looks like the dome on the '76 piston is shifted more right then the '81 and that's why the interference in the head

I think I had a bad camera angle. I can't measure any difference and the picture below shows things better.

Hmmm......

It's the correct head for those pistons and there's no interference. I'll probably just put it back together and see how well it runs.

Attachments

• 172515106a.jpg
    172515106a.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back