Logo

496 mag

bibby

does any one know wether keeping a 496 mag below 6 mph for 990 hours will do it any damage
and will it still have power if i do open the throttles

Like that answer had to read couple of times to make sure I was reading right, then I saw reply. As good as chief asking who adjusted valves on new boat.

is there something wrong with the question the boat has been used on the river thames in London where there is a speed retriction
is that good or bad for an engine ? to never go above 6 mph

1000 hours of idling with no full speed operation would /should be ok. Although I would at least
take it out for a couple of hours of all around operation, wide open throttle runs for short times say 5-10 minutes, cruise speed for 15-20 minutes and confirm all systems (cooling,alarm,sensors) if present
are all working.. That is the only way to properly answer your question.

I apologize, I just found amusing, but I believe prolonged idling will cause excessive build up on valves and seats. As well as excessive wear on bearings. These motors are designed to run wide open.

I apologize, I just found amusing, but I believe prolonged idling will cause excessive build up on valves and seats. As well as excessive wear on bearings. These motors are designed to run wide open.

to maybe be more specific although a marine engine can be run frquently
at max operating rpms, it is not reccomended to maintain that for extended periods of time.

My thoughts are if the motor runs well as is then a thourough shake down lake/oceann run should be done
to see if any issues have occurred due to the prolong low rpm use.

I phrased that poorly, you last post was right on. As long as the engine is brought up occasionly it should be fine. As we know water is a byproduct of combustion and the oil must be brought up in temp to burn off. The oil does not get hot enough at idle.

I didn't know if this post was for real. 990 hours at idle. That is allot of idle time.

KGHOST hit the nail on the head. And no Valve adjustment needed.....LOL

As long as the oil pressure is good run the hell out of it. As far as the oil getting hot enough to burn off condensation, this engine should be FWC and will definitely get hot enough.

I didn't know if this post was for real. 990 hours at idle. That is allot of idle time.

KGHOST hit the nail on the head. And no Valve adjustment needed.....LOL

As long as the oil pressure is good run the hell out of it. As far as the oil getting hot enough to burn off condensation, this engine should be FWC and will definitely get hot enough.

He clarified this a bit,

It is across the pond, on the THEMES river in england and there is a NO wake the entire area the boat was used, sounds like a tour or party boat situation.

anyway I would say it saw all it use just for this type of purpose, Similar to say on a fresh water lake where you would have a camp for kids and they have a couple of ski boats......they spend there entire life running at 2800-3400 rpms pulling skiers and when not pulling, the kids driving them run them into the ground......kinda like a car rental......lol

Back