Logo

48 spl lean sneeze

scalhoun506

Regular Contributor
[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]have big problem with lean sneeze killing engine at idle, have watched this sneeze with the air cover off and it looks fairly violent. worse when running on hose. happens right at first start or warmed up. coming back thru carbs. I have rebuilt carbs including core plugs and small wire thru all passages. Link-n-sync best i can. new spark plugs gaped at .030 or .040. compression 140+, all fuel lines tie wrapped or hose clamps. I guess next i'll try all new fuel lines to eliminate air leaks. 1987 48 SPL any suggestions or little secrets to end this problem. have read other forums for a couple of years and this one, there has never been a clear reason for lean sneeze that i can find. its gotten worse in the colder air, im afraid something inside going to break soon
oh, have moved this post from the BRP forum because of the jiberish answers that have invaded that site
[/FONT]

Its fairly normal to have a small sneeze on hose so make all adjusts in lake or barrel. The violent sneeze sound like sync/link is off. Remove linkage between carbs and make sure throttle roller does not have top carb open. Motor should run on carbs completely shut...

To understand----- " lean sneeze "----You should google something called----lel limits----Once you understand that ignition does not occur under certain conditions it may be easier to grasp what is happening.

should get off work early tomorrow, will remove linkage and back off cam, give it a try on the hose first and maybe go to the ramp, only 5 min. away, thanks good idea to eliminate possible adjustment errors

OMG, something so simple as the linkage adjustment between the carbs. I guess the link-n-sync in service manual was to technical for me. will test on the open water soon. thanks faztbullet

Back