Logo

470 engine alignment

baba_bluey

Regular Contributor
"Replaced the gimbal housing o

"Replaced the gimbal housing on my 1980 aquasport. Dropped motor in place, and can't get the alignment tool to slide in. The motor only has the front adjustiable mount. So after letting it sit for a day, i decided to loosing all the motormount bolts and try lifting the motor via cherrypicker. Got tool to slide in, but had to tap in alittle. Tool spins freely, but can't pull it out now. Am i doing something wrong? Any tips would be great."

"did you put the springs back

"did you put the springs back in ?

not very clear on this pic, but items 7-11
282511.jpg
plate

"Yeah, Brian. Put all new part

"Yeah, Brian. Put all new parts back on.(7-11) I'm wondering if maybe the gimbal bearing had a bur on the inside where the tool slides through.(new gimbal bearing also)"

"good, easy to miss, since you

"good, easy to miss, since you have a new gimbal bearing that can also be the issue, as you need to realign the bearing. You can do this by bumping the "hand" end of the alignment tool up, down left or right as needed to change the angle of the gimbal bearing it's easiest of course with the alignment tool, it's "adjustable" in a matter of speaking, it moves around about 4" in all directions."

"The question is: how the hell

"The question is: how the hell do i get the alignment tool out now? lol. Like i said before, you can turn the tool freely, but i can't pull it out now."

"You just haven't hit the

"You just haven't hit the sweet spot. This is not an easy thing to find if you haven't done many alignments. Just a small turn of the adjuster can keep the bar from sliding in as it should. Not only are you moving the back of the engine up and down you are changing the side to side position as well. Think about it a little and it will come to you how the rear of the engine can move with just the front adjusters. Like centering a bulls-eye. One side of the engine may be a tad higher than the other, this will cause major problems while trying to get it in alignment.
It is not a good idea to lift the engine and then slide in the alignment bar. This can cause damage to the coupler when the weight of the engine is placed on the bar. Just keep at it making small changes. Keep in mind it is not the bearing, its the coupler that is not allowing the bar to slide in. You are not moving the bearing, you are moving the coupler on the back of the engine to align with the bearing. Best to have help doing the alignment. Someone with a good feel or you'll be worn out from jumping in and out of the boat before you hit the correct alignment. good luck."

Poor Ed must be frustrated tha

Poor Ed must be frustrated that no one has read his post asking how to get the alignment bar OUT of there !!

Back