Logo

454 XLI Correct TBI Fuel Pressure

Mccoy38

Guys, sorry I know there are some threads on this subject but nothing directly asking what a 1996-1997 454 XLI fuel pressure should be with the Pierburg pump 7.21565.71.0.

I have had a fuel pressure regulator spring break in my TBI housing and this is not in the Crusader parts book. Looks to all be original but I am getting conflicting information from Crusader. One guy says 18-20 PSI fuel pressure and another one says 28-30 PSI. Looks like my engines are right in the middle of when they possibly changed the fuel system pressures.

I need a new spring but if I go with 30 PSI it could pop/ruin my current injectors and also change the PPH of the current injectors if this spring is wrong fuel pressure, if I go with a 18-20 PSI spring it could be too low and make me lean.

Does anyone have this vintage/year Engine and have the fuel pressure rating you are seeing with this set up and possibly injector information on your current set up? My engines looks to have had three different fuel pump options on them. One returnless in a fuel cooler coupled with a second pump, one mounted vertically up on front of the engine with the return built into the pump and one like mine which is under the port engine mount with a rubber case around it and single entry and exit fuel lines. Mine is also found on the multiport engines and has pressure capability of 43.5 psi I think.

I've also only owned the boat one year and have no clue if others have modified over the years. Trying to just get it right.

The fuel pressure will be 14-17 psi. You can also bypass the TBI regulator with an external one. A pressure gauge in the fuel line helps too.

The fuel pressure will be 14-17 psi. You can also bypass the TBI regulator with an external one. A pressure gauge in the fuel line helps too.

Talked to crusader direct today and they say after 95' pressure changed to 27-33 psi and prior it was 14-18. I'm going to trust them and get the $800 oem injectors and put 28 psi spring in FPR. Will update my findings. Driving me nuts bc engines just do not like higher rpm but run great down low. Will plane but acts weird. I've gone though everything. I'm not sure but looks like PO went cheap route and tried to go all automotive.

Talked to crusader direct today and they say after 95' pressure changed to 27-33 psi and prior it was 14-18. I'm going to trust them and get the $800 oem injectors and put 28 psi spring in FPR. Will update my findings. Driving me nuts bc engines just do not like higher rpm but run great down low. Will plane but acts weird. I've gone though everything. I'm not sure but looks like PO went cheap route and tried to go all automotive.

OK so now they are telling me 18 PSI fuel pressure. So I bought a new fuel pressure regulator spring and have my fuel pressure at exactly 18PSI. I also bought two injectors from Marysville and sure enough they are the exact NAPA injectors that are in the boat now with RIN-554 printed on the top. Which is NAPA part number 217058A and should be close to 100 PPH at 18 PSI or 90 PPH at 13 PSI. Sending them back at $269 each compared to $65 at Napa.

I'm putting this on here b/c I have spent a lot of time and money to try and find these fuel values since Crusader is basically zero help and says they do not have time to mess with ''Older" stuff. If anyone ever has a fuel pressure regulator spring break the original will not be available from GM or Crusader unless its 10PSI nor will the original injectors. I found some 18 psi springs online. Very frustrated with Crusaders lack of support for these engines and also trying to sell re-manufactured aftermarket injectors as new.

Thanks for posting, I may need that info later.
I have two 1998 454xLi's with 1100hrs.
Last I checked the fuel pressure was at 21psi

Thanks for posting, I may need that info later.
I have two 1998 454xLi's with 1100hrs.
Last I checked the fuel pressure was at 21psi

Thx that is helpful to know. I guess I will attempt to tighten this spring up a little more with the quarter trick to get it to 21 bc it's still acting up a little at cruise rpm. Do you have the same pumps mounted under the engine off the engine mount?

Not sure but looking at the receipt for cleaning and inspection the Injector # is 17109972ACR 2177GM.
Pressure setting of 20psi.
That's all I have on them.

I have no idea what fuel pumps I have.

Last edited:
Back