Logo

454 starter only reaches part of the ring gear

Crash757

I never noticed this until my starter got weak and I went to change it, but the wear pattern on my ring gear and my starter gear shows it’s only engaging 3/16ths to maybe 1/4” of the ring gear which is causing excessive wear to the ring gear. I need a starter that will engage the entire gear but I can’t find any specs for the available starters and suppliers can’t seem to help either. From the mounting shoulder to the back of ring gear is 2 5/8” and should be clear at 2 1/8” when the starter is at rest.

Has anyone else run into this or even noticed?

your post is somewhat vague in defining exactly what you have....

I have a pair of 454's in the inboard configuration with top mount delco 10MT starters...i just checked an old one in the garage and it has about 1/2" of wear on the starter's gear...

your post is somewhat vague in defining exactly what you have....

I have a pair of 454's in the inboard configuration with top mount delco 10MT starters...i just checked an old one in the garage and it has about 1/2" of wear on the starter's gear...
Sorry if I was vague. I have the SAE J1171 starter. The wear on my starter and ring gear is maybe 1/4 of an inch (half the gears). Its causing wear to the first half of the ring gear since its not contacting the whole thing. The only thing I found about this issue so far was on a hot rod forum. He was able to show it in detail and was able to correct the issue by getting a Chevrolet Performance starter, but that doesn't help me because its not marine rated. I have contacted some suppliers but no one can give me the distance from the mount to the extended bendix gear length. I need 2 5/8 " to reach the full width of the ring gear.

J1171 is just the safety test the starter is rated for...does it .count to the block or thru the flywheel cover
6th

You can remove the lower screw from the solenoid (to keep the starter from spinning) and then energize the solenoid to check the throw provided...you can then see how much the drive gear is extended... The solenoid will likely draw over 20 amps so don't leave it powered up much over 30 seconds...if you need more time, let it cool a couple minutes and then repeat...

If the ring gear is fully seated on the flywheel, it should be in the proper location...as long as the flywheel is the correct one...if they aren't fully seated, they can bind on the starter so that shouldn't be your issue...

You can remove the lower screw from the solenoid (to keep the starter from spinning) and then energize the solenoid to check the throw provided...you can then see how much the drive gear is extended... The solenoid will likely draw over 20 amps so don't leave it powered up much over 30 seconds...if you need more time, let it cool a couple minutes and then repeat...

If the ring gear is fully seated on the flywheel, it should be in the proper location...as long as the flywheel is the correct one...if they aren't fully seated, they can bind on the starter so that shouldn't be your issue...
Thanks for that. That’s interesting. I didn’t know you can do that. Not sure how I’d be able to see it in the boat though. But given the wear patterns on both gears and the measurements I’ve taken, I’m certain it’s at least only getting half the gear at best. I appreciate you following along and trying to help. I’ll post if I come up with a solution.

Thanks for that. That’s interesting. I didn’t know you can do that. Not sure how I’d be able to see it in the boat though. But given the wear patterns on both gears and the measurements I’ve taken, I’m certain it’s at least only getting half the gear at best. I appreciate you following along and trying to help. I’ll post if I come up with a solution.
Is the starter serviced annually? It should be inspected for rust and ability for the solenoid to move through its entire range. It should also be lubricated and the starter on a 454 isn't light unless it's a newer version with gear reduction. If it has been replaced in the last 10-15 years, it may be that type.

The starter needs to come out- disconnect the battery negative before starting. If it needs to be tested, it's probably best to do it outside of the boat.

Take photos of the wires BEFORE removing the starter.

Back