Logo

454 reverse rotation timing gears

ezstriper

Ok, been battling reverse rotation eating distributors for way to long now, trying see if anybody knows of any old style gear to gear timing sets out there that we can get to work on a gen VI block, want to get rid of the reverse cut cam/dist gears.

Unless the timing cover has been removed, the reverse rotation (RH) standard production GM blocks use the same distributor for either rotation engines....and I don't think you can get a reverse rotation distributor gear to mess with the drive gear on a normal rotation camshaft....

has the engine been rebuilt?

Ayuh,..... Only the crankshaft turns backwards, the cam turns the same way it always does,.....

Ok, been battling reverse rotation eating distributors for way to long now, trying see if anybody knows of any old style gear to gear timing sets out there that we can get to work on a gen VI block, *** want to get rid of the reverse cut cam/dist gears.
*** I assume from the above comment that your REV RH Rotation Engine camshaft is chain/sprocket driven..... (I.E., camshaft rotates RH just as the crankshaft does.)
If so, the standard rotation oil pump requires that the distributor rotate in standard direction.
This requires a reverse helical gear cut at both the drive and driven gears, of which causes a down-ward force on your distributor shaft.
This alone should not be of concern as far as the two gears go.
So I'm curious....... what types of issues are you having with these two gears?

Mark said:
Unless the timing cover has been removed, the reverse rotation (RH) standard production GM blocks use the same distributor for either rotation engines.... and I don't think you can get a reverse rotation distributor gear to mesh with the drive gear on a normal rotation camshaft....
Mark, that would be real trick to do! :D

Ayuh,..... Only the crankshaft turns backwards, the cam turns the same way it always does,.....

Only if the camshaft is twin gear driven! ( I.E., one gear at crankshaft, and one gear at camshaft...... no idler gears! )

Last edited:
Back