Logo

454 Quardrajet overflow fuel line off

contender31

Regular Contributor
Hello today I noticed the overflow fuel line off one of my quadrajet carb - this is the fuel line that pours fuel back into the carb if the fuel pump fails for evample.

Question is other then a safety issue - could it have any other effect - i.e. fuel consumption etc?

Note I posted an earlier thread explaining a fuel smell out of the exhaust - could this be the reason?

Thanks in advance.

If the pump diaphram has failed, you'd be getting fuel in that line and yes you would smell it. The only way I can think of now that such a situation would affect engine performance is that the engine would run rich while fuel was pouring into the carb through this line. With the line off the carb, it would not affect performance unless the carb was set up while fuel was dumping into it through this line unknowingly, and now that it's off, it doesn't run the same..?? Fuel smell out the exhaust? are you sure all cylinders are firing? Do you see fuel in the water?

Thanks - pump is new - no fuel in the line - I believe I accidently knocked it off a couple of weeks ago when I replaced the raw water pump and belts. I just noticed a fuel smell on startup and a blueish white clear like smoke coming from the exhaust. This is what made me ask the question re smoke from the exhaust and fuel smell in a previous additional post earlier. I just wasnt sure if the hose off would create any of the issues I describe???

Hope this explains the scenario I am dealing with?? Motor starts on demand and seems to run smooth at idle speed but I was concerned about the fuel smell. I have not run it at cruise as yet. It appears that I am burning ore fuel than normal but this was before I noticed the overflow line off today --- note all of the gas smell and smoke appeared before I noticed the line off and have not run it since.

Thanks
Gary

No doubt you've already concluded that having that third line off and sending gas into your bilge is not good, and that you've made sure that will NEVER happen again.

Engines that sit a while tend to run rich until they get a good run on them, wich may simply be the case. Either way, you're using your head--your nose, actually--and that's smart!

Jeff

The safety hose being off will not cause a smell in the bilge unless the fuel pump is bad and if the fuel pump is not bad the hose being off will definitely not cause poor economy.

Back