Logo

454 IO mercruiser rebuilt engine

big_red

"can you tell me what I should

"can you tell me what I should look,or ask for when some one says the enging is rebuilt...I am not a motor head just enough to get by (sometimes)what questions should I ask thank you.."

"i ask for the receipts for th

"i ask for the receipts for the parts and then the invoice from the machine shop. I'd look for the magna-flux report and also how much metal was removed and from where. then make sure the proper parts were used. w/o this, the price drops a whole lot or find another seller. The except would be a reputable dealer giving you a warranty."

"If you read articles about re

"If you read articles about repowering, they usually tell you that one of the most important things is WHO is rebuilding the engine. The importance is the mechanics knowledge and craftmanship, and his judgement as to what needs replacement. There is no real standard as to what actually involves or is required to qualify as a rebuild. If an owner knowingly is going to sell his boat, I doubt that he will spend any more money that he absolutely needs to. Choices when rebuilding is not just checking the settings and tolerances, but the accessories that get replaced. So like Mark said, receipts tell you what is done, what was existing that was re-installed and do yoru best to find out the reputation of the mechanics that did the work. Also look at the age of the engine prior to rebuild and the age of the accessories like the starter, alterntor, pumps, steering units,mounts, electrical harnesses, etc. There are many variables to a rebuild, do the best homework you can to know what you are buying."

Back