Logo

454 intake manifold coolant under two bolts

bobct

Advanced Contributor
"I'm pretty much done with

"I'm pretty much done with the port engine (exh manifolds, elbows, risers, fuel pump, coil, all new hoses, thermo, plugs, RWP).

Swinging around to do the same on the starboard side. On this engine (maybe I posted this a couple of months ago?), I discovered coolant under 2 of the intake manifold bolts when I removed the linkage bracket.

I didn't have any coolant loss or obvious signs that coolant was getting into the combustion chamber. I pulled all the plugs, they are running rich but none of them are steam cleaned.

I did a compression test (cold) yesterday and came up with 135, 140, 140, 149, 135, 140, 138, 137.

I'm assuming that I need a new intake manifold gasket which I can see was done before. I think this engine had a valve job at one point. I know it's not residual coolant from prior work because it will flow out if I remove the bolt when the engine is running.

I removed the same two bolts on the port engine and didn't see anything. You can see the coolant in the hole that's circled, there's also some (not as high) in the one next to it. I didn't remove any other bolts, just these two.

I'm not sure what the backside of that intake looks like and where coolant should/should not be.

Based on this picture, would you assume intake manifold gasket as well?
334754.jpg
intake manifold

"You likely have an intake man

"You likely have an intake manifold gasket failure at that water passage. When the pieces are seperated, look for erosion, corrosion, or similar issue with the mating surfaces of both the head and manifold in that area. Use Ultra copper or Ultra black RTV on both sides of the gasket, around the water passages at reassembly. I've been able to use ultra copper to close up to an 1/8" "issue" in this area successfully."

"I thought I did, thanks guys.

"I thought I did, thanks guys. I would (insert obvious statement here) deal with this than a head gasket...

Parts should show up today."

"Bob, are you using the Crusad

"Bob, are you using the Crusader Engine Repair Manual to look up some of this? I specifically remember them telling me in the book to discard the gaskets in the intake manifold set and use the black rtv sealant under the front and rear areas of the intake. Dave's, note about using it for the possible leak area is another."

Al:

Those notes typically r

Al:

Those notes typically refer to the rubber seals when the block doesn't have the holes for the cast-on locating pins.

I'm sure RTV would work over that entire interface; I'd be disinclined to attempt it if a gasket set was available.

"I've NOT used the premade

"I've NOT used the premade end cork or composite gaskets. Used I think a 3/16" bead of RTV instead. It's not a tiny crack to seal, though."

"Al, yes I do have the Crusade

"Al, yes I do have the Crusader repair manual. It does say that but as Mark pointed out only if there are no locating pins..."

Back