Logo

440 Swivel Risers

blue_arabian

"Is water supposed to reach th

"Is water supposed to reach the top of the riser??
I see there is a water feed at the end on the down turn, i was curious to know the "water pattern" for water flowing to the exhaust manifold to the risers and out the bellows----sorry if this is a dumb question."

"Not a dumb question at all, a

"Not a dumb question at all, and one every inboard boater should be aware of.

Water is finally injected into the exhaust near the end of the riser, where it connects to the rubber hose. From there forward the metal is merely water jacketed. Now, if the waterline is too low, water can crawl up the exhaust and try to run over the top of the riser to spill down the other side, where it can enter the open exhaust port. Not good! What prevents that horror scene is three things:

1. Risers high enough compared to the waterline

2. Flappers on the exhaust pipes to keep a wave from slapping water up the pipe, and,

3. Proper boat operation-not dropping instantly off plane and letting the wake slam water up the pipe.

A damn good question after all!

Jeff

PS: If you have to move those swivel risers (angle wise) get back to me before doing it. If they are 'happy' as they are, and aren't leaking, fine."

"Thanks Jeff for your input, t

"Thanks Jeff for your input, that is part of what I was looking for, and the other part is what Ted was reffering to-----The water that cools the manifolds----where does that go---is it supposed to flow up though the swivel riser---or is that just exhaust gases that sit atop the swiwel riser and will be hotter than the end of the riser that has water cooling it?What I am getting at is i put a laser temp gun on my manifold and it read fine 150-160, but when I put the gun on the underside of the riser before the slant up to the swivel riser it read 230---my mechanic put his gun on everything after boating around 10 miles and his read 175-185 on both sides, which he says is no problem---maybe I have a bad gun----anyway I was just trying to understand how the water feeds through the sysytem and my mechanic stated he didn't find any burnt paint----I'm trying to get a better understanding of how this cooling system works---Thanks you guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Mine never run higher than 15

"Mine never run higher than 150. In fact, I have temp alarm switches in all four that go off at 160. (Tripped one of them once backing into a marina.)

The underside should not be higher temperature than the top. I suspect it's full of loose rust scale.

The water flows through a jacket that surrounds the riser and comes out at the extreme end (as shown in the photo, where it's being rodded out with a drill).

Jeff

286524.jpg
"

"[url=""]http://i154.photobuck

"http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s263/noelct/IMG_1249.jpg"

Chris, The raw water enters the manifold at the lowest point, in my case aft. It then exits manifold at the highest point out hose.

The hose then supplies riser elbow at lowest point. From here, water travels from elbow to riser, sealed internally with two o-rings. One o-ring seals water from mixing with exhaust, the other keeps wate from mixing with outside air.

After that, the water is injected into exhaust and mixes, then out the back of the boat it goes.

One note to add: Instead of using expensive/hard to find special riser bolts/hardware, I have had luck using stainless steel 3/8-16 flat head socket cap screws and washers. The angle of the flat head with flat washer under makes a very nice clamp for those darn flanges on the swivel

I hope this helps. ,Noel."

I had to make up a 'specia

I had to make up a 'special' 9/16 wrench to tighten the bolts on mine. Disgraceful! You'd think the morons who designed never put one together. (Maybe they didn't.....)

Jeff

"1. Manifolds: Unless you&#39

"1. Manifolds: Unless you're certain the bolts will come right out, DON'T try to unscrew them: Drill the heads off, pry the manifolds off with wooden wedges, then remove the bolt shanks with Vise Grips. (Penetrating oil and heat help.) Trust me on this! You don't want to drill and Easy Out a bunch of bolts broken off in the heads.

2. Elbows and risers: A Craftsman 6 point box wrench (they sell them in several sizes) is you best friend here. Too easy to round of a bolt and then you are screwed!

3. Reassembling old, swivel elbows is an art form! If you want to do one, let me know and I'll show you how it can be done.

Jeff"

"440s come apart easily as the

"440s come apart easily as the manifold studs are stainless. Replace the manfolds, elbows and risers if they are 10 years old. I put new stainless bolts in the swivel to elbow and elbow to manifold connections when reassembling.

Dan"

I have a ? i need to know .. at the end of the riser where my 3" hose goes on to my muffer and out the back
is that end rite where the hose goes on. ment to be all open all around the pipe at the end of the riser? or is it just ment to have a few little areas where water comes out.so what i asking is it to be open all around the end of the riser or only in some areas cause mine could be bad? like the pic on this page

Back