Logo

440 distributor problem

cayman_seaskiff

Hello, I am replacing my old dist. with a new mallory pestolite YLM578AV, and when I went to change it I noticed the shaft end is 1/2 inch shorter than old one and it will not engage into the slot in shaft inside block.
My motor is a 1969 440 counter rotation.
Any ideas why this unit does not fit?
Thanks
Jerry

I dont know...........440s well

but 318s a lil more every day

your replacing the counter rotator(dist) which on a 318 is higher because of the thrust washer,so you would need (on 318 now) an extra long shaft with the washer

my honest opnion is that Mallory aint sayin **** because they dont make it for a counter rotation motor

Does that mallory even work when it spins the other way? anybody got it in a 318...360

yeah they spin the same way my bad!

it wont fit because the old dist you took out has a special thrust wsher on ithe dist base and that dist has a longer shaft

I don't know if this could relate to the 440 engine, but thought maybe worth tossing in the mix here.

Mallory recently had an issue with the Chevy V-8 YLM distributors with regard to their AV and BV units.
YLM xxx AV is standard LH rotation, and YLM xxx BV is RH rotation.
The gear cut is obviously different, but both rotate in the same direction due to the oil pump!

The BV (RH rotation) requires down-load thrust counter measures...., whereas the AV does not (due to the helical cut).
Some BV's were being sold without this thrust counter measure.

Is it safe to assume that the YLM 578 AV is consistant with the "AV" being for a LH rotation engine, as it is with the Chevy YLM xxx AV for a LH rotation engine?
Just curious!

What a Bummer. Hope you get this resolved.

Hi
These 440 distributors have no gears on end, just a slot to engage the inner shaft inside block.
And both engine rotations have dist spinning counter clockwise.
I would like to compare length to a stock automotive dist. to see where difference is, but I do not have one to compare.
I may have to contact a machine shop in states that rebuild 440's to maybe get an answer.

Or maybe my old girl just doesn't want to change her ways....

jerry

Back