40r73d

kmlkutlu

Hello
new on this forum and happy to see lota of people helping

I am from Turkey and triying to fix a 40R73D
its hard to find spare parts in Turkey
I am looking for how to charge my battery with this outboard

does it have changing system on it?

40R is a rope start motor. The belt driven DC generator kit was for electric start models, meaning the rope start motor will have the wrong flywheel to drive the generator. Besides the flywheel and generator, you will need a voltage regulator and a bunch of other stuff. Simply put, it just isn't worth it here in U.S. and I suspect a lot worse in Turkey.

40R is a rope start motor. The belt driven DC generator kit was for electric start models, meaning the rope start motor will have the wrong flywheel to drive the generator. Besides the flywheel and generator, you will need a voltage regulator and a bunch of other stuff. Simply put, it just isn't worth it here in U.S. and I suspect a lot worse in Turkey.

Thanks for ur reply the engine is electric start but can not find a dc generator that can fit inside

I might have a kit here but shipping gonna be brutal. Damn good motors, just took a 1972, one owner in on trade.
Note to Gator: Turkey may have assembled the motor from available parts.....might have different equipment than tag indicates. Case in point: My 1967 Chevy Impala setting in our garage in the Philippines was assembled by a Hardware Store....ID tag intact. 6 cyl. 3 speed with a 12 bolt rear end. 12 bolts were reserved for 275 hp motors and up here in the US.....In Philippines they use what is available.....maybe same in Turkey.

Last edited:
The factory generator was similar in size to the starter motor.------Output of 10 amp at full throttle.----Not too hard to find in my area.------Not sure how many were sold in Turkey.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to snap some photos of the motor? Have to downsize to about 1000k. Never tried to use screenshot on a photo.......might work too....gonna try it now.....raining but will take a picture of my new 1972.
Screenshot reduced size but not enough to work here. Used "litphoto" and reduced to around 400k.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200809-085324_compress61.jpg
    Screenshot_20200809-085324_compress61.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back