Logo

40hp lower unitS question

dantaylor122333

i have a 1998 tracker 40hp, power tilt and a slightly older 40hp maybe a 1996 tracker motor as well, i was going to swap the lower unit from the older one onto the 1998 motor. the bolt look like they will match up but the shift shaft is different. the newer model has a straight rod that threads into the other side of the linkage on the motor, the older unit has a plastic elbow at the bottom held in with a pin and cotter pin then a bent rod which get connected near the top side of the port side of the motor. my question is can i change this shift linkage? i have only really dealt with OMC products in the past and this is kind of new to me. also the older motor i cannot find a serial number for.

both motors have the same engine cover and both say mercury on the side. i think the older one is a 97 and the one im trying to use was a 98. the 98 has one extra hole for the lower unit but the bolt pattern is the same. could i use the gears in the older one and it put in the 98 housing? or can i just change the shift shaft and save the trouble removing the bearings and everything. any help would be appreciated.

Back