Logo

40hp Force with water in lower unit oil NOW WHAT

john

Contributing Member
" I recently purchased a boat

" I recently purchased a boat with a 1988 outbaord 40 hp Force. After a summer of fun, I noticed water in the lower unit while winterizing. I do not have manuals for the motor. I feel that I could do the repairs myself with some info. Does anyone know where I might find information on repair procedures that will help me? "

" I have a 1977 18 ft. tri-hul

" I have a 1977 18 ft. tri-hull with a '77 85 hp Johnson outboard. The last time out, it ran rough and lacked some power. The compression #'s are:
cylinder 1: 90
cylinder 2: 35
cylinder 3: 100
cylinder 4: 95

Obviously, cylinder 2 has a problem.
In speaking with a 25 year veteran o.b. mechanic, he said to first expose the inlet port and move the piston to see the compression ring. If it's broken, time to decide what to do (rebuild or buy another). If it does not appear broken, using screwdriver, push on the ring to see if it recesses into it's groove and springs back out (indicates it is free, not frozen in groove)and, check cylinder for scoring.
If all this checks good, it's a possible blown/leaking head gasket.

This seems a logical course of action.
I do most of my own auto work and feel somewhat competent in evaluating such problems, but would appreciate any further advice.

Also, if it is just a head gasket problem, and the rest of the checks are good, do you see any problem upgrading parts to make it a 115 to 140 hp.? I have a source with parts at reasonable prices.

Thanks,

Matt "

Back