Logo

40hp 6e9 gearbox

oakhill1986

In error we have removed the exterior locating pin for the gearbox (the pin above the drain bung) this has allowed the gear selector rod to disengage with the gearbox. I presume the gearbox has to come apart to relocate it?
Is the main lock nut behind the propelor left or right hand thread? Are there any special tools required to remove it?

I believe you are talking about the "shift limit screw" - little screw with a washer about half way between the fill and vent plugs on the gearcase.

If you have simply removed that in error, you don't need to crack the whole case to get things adjusted again.

In fact, when you reassemble a gearcase after working on it, you temporarily tighten that screw and then make adjustments later when checking the shift linkage.

Is that the screw you are talking about? It's just a fine adjustment for the shift-shaft, it does not affect the alignment of the gears or anything like that - so not a biggie if that's what you un-did...

Ok, so what do you have at the bottom of that rod (shift shaft) - is it just the treaded portion showing or is the shift cam (kinda a wedge looking thing) attached to the bottom?

It's still not as bad as you might think :)

The long shaft has dislocated itself from the gearbox and cant be relocated, ive been into a local outboard repair shop and they have supplied the special tool needed to take the gearbox out, but im confused now as im not sure if it should pull out or twist out?

Pull out or twist out what?

Are you now tearing down the lower unit and are asking about the bearing carrier?

Or are you pulling the shift-shaft completely from the gearcase - sorry, you just have me a bit confused as to what you are planning to take out...

Sorry to confuse you.

Essentially instead of pushing the shaft back in i pulled it up too high and it dislocated itself from the gearbox (it has some sort of diagnonal shovel on the end, which when pushed down puts another shaft in reverse) and couldnt be relocated without taking the gearbox out. I have now managed to do all this, so fingers crossed all is good and i wont make that stupid mistake again.

Thanks soooo much for all your help :rolleyes:

Sorry to confuse you.

Essentially instead of pushing the shaft back in i pulled it up too high and it dislocated itself from the gearbox (it has some sort of diagnonal shovel on the end, which when pushed down puts another shaft in reverse) and couldnt be relocated without taking the gearbox out. I have now managed to do all this, so fingers crossed all is good and i wont make that stupid mistake again.

Thanks soooo much for all your help :rolleyes:
Hi there, did you have to pull the gearbox apart to refit the shaft? I have the same issues and I’m hoping I don’t have to remove everything.

Back