Logo

401 4751 or what

n_e_t_o

"Sorry, this is long...
So I&

"Sorry, this is long...
So I'm converting my 1988 120 VRO to a non-VRO, (See my previous discussion for my reasons)and everything went very smoothly. Thanks to those (especially Joe Reeves) who helped out with the instructions on how to remove the VRO. The last step was to mix oil into the gas tank @ 50:1 ratio. Easy enough I thought. The tag on the top of my tank says 30 gallons, and it is full.
I know that I've always mixed 16 ounces of oil with 6 gallons of gas in the past, and my container that I'm measuring with holds 16 ounces exactly, so I figure I'll put 5 containers into the gas tank and call it good. (80 ounces of oil, for 30 gallons of gas...which is correct).
So I'm pouring oil into my measuring container, and adding it to the gas tank. My wife brings out the phone and it's my granddaughter telling me she rode her bike with the training wheels off, and that she was going to get new shoes and that her birds name is Butterfly Princess, etc. and I get lost in the moment, hang up and then realize I've lost count of how many containers of oil I have added to my tank!!! I know it was either 2 or 3...so (needing 5) I decided to error on the safe side and I assumed I had only added 2. So I added 3 more. After that, since I need to replace the fuel filter and such, I called it a night without starting the boat. Once I came in I started doing a little math.
Techically, 16 ounces per 6 gallons, makes it 47.5:1 mixture. And if I added another 16 ounces extra (96 ounces of oil to 30 gallons of gas), that makes it 40:1.
Will I hurt anything running at 40:1? (I'm pretty sure I did add 16 extra ounces...), or should I drain out a couple gallons of mix and add in 2 or 3 gallons of non mixed fresh gas to dilute it up to about 55:1 or so...but then if I DIDN'T add the extra 16 ounces, that makes it 60:1 or so?
I'm probably overthinking it. Do I just go run it and be happy?!

Thanks in advance!
Randy"

The motor gets its lubrication

The motor gets its lubrication from the oil.The gasoline evaporates and the oil stays in the crankcase for a while to lubricate the bearings and such. You will never ever damage a 2 stroke from too much oil in the gasoline.

Back