Logo

40 hp Mariner Questions

bjen91

"hi, i have a early 90's M

"hi, i have a early 90's Mariner on a 24ft pontoon boat. i am running about 4000 rpm with a 12 pitch prop, i usually have around 10 or more people, is there anything i can do to get more speed? also i know they make "bigfoot" outboards, is there anyway i can convert my motor to a "bigfoot"? i would rather not have to buy a new motor cause mine works just fine. but i just want a little more speed out of it. thanks for your help"

"4000 rpm's sounds way to

"4000 rpm's sounds way to low, I don't have the exact rpm spec but thinking it should be more around 5300-5500rpm's. A lower pitch prop would do better. First due a compression test to see if the engine is in good condition."

"Ben, JB is right on with the

"Ben, JB is right on with the rpms - you should probably looking at about a 7 pitch, high thrust prop for that set-up.

Continued running at 4k is going to severely shorten the life of that engine.

You make note of the "big foot" models. These have a totally different gear case and considerably "lower" gears - built to push weight, not give you speed.

In fact, with your set-up and usual load, there is almost nothing you can do with that set-up to get more speed.

If it's speed you want, sell the 40 and go up to the max hp your rig is rated for..."

"thanks for the info guys!! i

"thanks for the info guys!! i have been looking around at marina's but all of them say they wont take trade on my motor, and i really dont know what i could sell mine for? i will try a different pitch and see what happens!! thanks again, ben"

"Ben, an early 90's, 40 ho

"Ben, an early 90's, 40 horse may pick-up 600-800 in the used market (on a good day).

These (formerly) mid-range engines just aren't in demand anymore. They are too big for little aluminum fishing boats and way too small for most of the other stuff they are building today.

Now when a 150 is considered a mid-sized engine (with 300's on the market), nobody want's these 2 stroke, pollution spewing dinosaurs - unfortunately.

But even you are experiencing that problem. Your "toon" should probably have at least a 75 high-thrust (bigfoot etc)...."

Back