Logo

40 HP Johnson

Steven Meyer

I need to know exactly how to set the engine so that it will run it's slowest in order to troll the lake for trout. I cannot get it to slow down much.

If you leave the trailer under the boat , then IT will go slow !!!-------------------Would you consider posting the year / model / condition of the motor !!!!---------------How about particulars on the boat !!!

A 40 HP really isnt made for slow trolling.I just had some guy bring a motor over, a 35HP he had the slow speed mixture so lean he scored the cylinders.He was wondering why it was overheating and spurting steam so heavily.The motor needs oil in a fuel mix close it down too much you lose that lubrication and it will overheat.Get a kicker motor for trolling.Speed trolling well that motor will do that.This guy had that 35HP on a 14ft sylvin aluminum boat,now on a 16 ft fiberglass it may have gone abit slower

Last edited:
67 ---40 HP is an excellent motor IF IN GOOD CONDITION !!--------------will spark jump a gap of 1/4" with a snap you can hear ??-----------Compression test results are ???-------------Need to know this information !

Does the throttle plate close fully? Does the motor stop when throttled down completely?? Is the throttle stop on the motor adjusted properly...if there are remote controls, is the throttle stop fully adjusted on those?

Back