Logo

4 hp, 4stroke issue

bob r

While out fishing in WA. state yesterday on our way back in the engine died, started back up, but when accelerated died as if fuel starved, I believe fuel filter is clogged, letting gas through at a low level until filter will not let enough fuel through at high demand, haven't changed filter in years, although I am religious about clean fuel and sta-bill. I realize that as the filter is under tank (?)I've got to pull the tank off to replace, are the 3 bolts on top the only hangups in removing tank? Can I get enough play on tank with hoses still attached to access fuel filter and clamp off filter feed hose? Thanks for input, glad to have found your site! Bob R

I would have thought that a new member to this forum would have better luck with a response to a simple question involving a clogged fuel filter then I've received, I don't get it (the help, I mean!lol)Great way to welcome a new member! Bob R

I thought I'd answer my own thread (AGAIN!) as no one seems to want to help a new member of this forum. Thanks esp. to Paul( thecertified tech from Buffalo) who choose to ignore me, I'm glad that the fishing forums I subscribe to were more help, actually really helpful folks.I'm sure that the harsh post will win me lots of friends here, but it's not like I've got a lot to lose at this site. Thanks for nothing. Bob R

Bob,
I'll take a crack at answering your post although I'm far from an expert. The fuel filter is very easy to get to. Yes, removing the tank is just the three bolts you mentioned. You don't need to remove the fuel line from the tank, you can just swivel it out of the way. I think there have been so many 4 HP 4 stroke fuel questions on this forum that the gurus are tired of answering them. Don't be surprised if changing the filter doesn't solve your problem. The carburetors on these motors seem to clog very easily and have extremely tiny jets and orifices. After cleaning my carb 3 times (with rpm improvements each time) I'm replacing the carburetor with a 6 HP one. Some people say that these carbs are more cost effective to replace. I can attest to that. At least it was my time I wasted rather than paying a mechanic. I got some good replies here but I think fuel issues on these motors are like beating a dead horse...

Thanks for reply, harry, I'm just amazed it took 3 posts answering myself (and a week!) I got the info I needed from fishing forums I belong to. The removal and replacement of fuel filter went well and it solved my issues. The engine runs GREAT at both low trolling speed and wide open. As I've said i've been religious about fresh fuel so dirty carb was fort. not the problem.I really didn't want to buy a manual for something that a simple answer would solve, I'd rather buy it when I needed it. The engine has run like a champ for 5 years, so hopefuloly I won't need that manual. As far as the "gurus" being tired of answering simple fuel issues, I examined the archives on this site for previous posts with related questions, really weren't any. If I walked into a service facility and asked a simple question(like I've done lots of times in the past) and the tech felt like ignoring my question as something he's answered too many times, I'd buy my parts and service somewhere else. This site encouragred me to ask for help, I did and felt like I got crapped on by people such as "paul" and the other so-called "gurus".In my book a guru doesn't disrespect people by ignoring a new member.just sayin'. Bob R

My problem is that my motor would not idle below 2200 RPM. After during a thorough carb cleanup (disassembly, overnight soaking, compressed air, etc) I got the idle down to 1300 but for only about 30 seconds. I'm glad just the fuel filter solved your problem and have my fingers crossed that the carb solves mine.

Thanks for reply, harry, I'm just amazed it took 3 posts answering myself (and a week!) I got the info I needed from fishing forums I belong to. The removal and replacement of fuel filter went well and it solved my issues. The engine runs GREAT at both low trolling speed and wide open. As I've said i've been religious about fresh fuel so dirty carb was fort. not the problem.I really didn't want to buy a manual for something that a simple answer would solve, I'd rather buy it when I needed it. The engine has run like a champ for 5 years, so hopefuloly I won't need that manual. As far as the "gurus" being tired of answering simple fuel issues, I examined the archives on this site for previous posts with related questions, really weren't any. If I walked into a service facility and asked a simple question(like I've done lots of times in the past) and the tech felt like ignoring my question as something he's answered too many times, I'd buy my parts and service somewhere else. This site encouragred me to ask for help, I did and felt like I got crapped on by people such as "paul" and the other so-called "gurus".In my book a guru doesn't disrespect people by ignoring a new member.just sayin'. Bob R

I've gotta say that I feel that I should be allowed to go on a vacation with my family, and that might be for a week or 2, and that I might just want to spend that time with my family rather than poking around on the net. Those of us who help others on this forum do it for free, as volunteers, and it's terribly unfair of anyone to expect to be "entitled" to an answer from those folks. If Bob wants to feel he is entitled to service, he could always drop by a dealership and pay for it.

Last edited:
Paul, I don't get it....why do think you should be allowed to go on vacation? And if you do go on a vacation why aren't you spending your family time checking the forums and answering questions? Very selfish of you in my opinion. <heavy sarcasm> :D

I guess in these days of people being always connected 24x7 with their iphones, ipads, blackberry, laptops, ps3, xbox, etc, they expect instant answers, even from volunteers such as yourself. It's pretty sad that you can't even take a vacation without some users blasting you for not instantly replying to their question. You're under no obligation to answer even if you weren't out of town. I suppose it never occured to him to use that old fashioned device called a PHONE (you know, that device that people use to text, update their facebook and surf the net while driving) and simply called Tohatsu's main office in Texas and asked them the same question and got his answer, for free, in a matter of minutes.

This forum is dang lucky to have a dealer that enjoys helping people solve problems. Obviously the people that run this forum don't do any actual "tech support"...they just hope that others do so they can reap the benefits from banner ads. Without a few key folks like yourself, this forum would have withered & died off long ago.

Keep up the good work and take all the vacations you want!!!

Paul,
Thanks so much. I've ordered a new carb and when I get it I'll play with the spool. I did not adjust the throttle cables and they look just like the picture in the manual so I think I messed with the spool when I loosened the nut. It seemed to slip like it was under under spring tension. The motor runs fine and achieves idle to WOT in a very linear fashion, it just does it all before the mark. I'm sorry Bob disrespected you, please don't feel unappreciated. I hope you keep up the great work. I'm guessing that the folks you have helped are in the thousands. And thanks for the parts numbers. I ordered the Merc carb day before yesterday knowing full well that you would respond with the Tohatsu carn number once I ordered the Merc! :) I made the impatient decision and it cost me 70 bucks, but it's okay. I sure as hell don't blame you for not responding right away. This forum is great advice for free. I think we are becoming a little too demanding society today... Harry

hello
interesting web site , so glad to find it.
i have 4 hp 4 stroke TOHATSU
it has always had a oil leak
the local mecanique told me it got oil leak at crankcase gasket and base gasket , and quote me around $ 650 Aus ..
it is nearly as the value of the engine.
where could i find some intrucsion to do this repair myself
sincerely
catherine

Catherine,

Depending on the age, you may be in warranty; However, it's my understanding the Tohatsu distributor in Australia has to handle warranty issues without factory support, so they may not want to honor the warranty, as they would not be reimbursed from the factory.

A leaky base gasket will not be an oil leak; However, a leaky pan gasket can allow the oil to leak out. You would want to have mechanical skills and basic tools, then order the Factory service manual. Covers 4A2, 5A2 & 6A2 4-stroke models. Part # 003-21034-1. In North America, the manual is priced at $27.58 USD.

In order to get the pan off, you will need to pull the power head off, which will usually require a new base gasket when reassembling. There are several wires, linkages, and cables that must be removed in the process.

When the pan is removed, everything -- all the internals -- are exposed. A novice might panic at that point, so be forewarned. Don't disturb the gearing for the cam/crank timing. Just clean the old pan gasket completely off the block and pan, making sure that no debris is left inside the motor. Then you can install the new gasket and torque the pan back on, then reinstall the power head onto the drive shaft housing and lower cowl, and reattach all the external wiring and linkages, and you should be fine.

thank you so much Paul for your informations
it could have save me $ 70 that the mecanic charge me just for looking at the engine.
I am not a novice as i built few saiing boat and sail single -handed, so i have some basis of HB and inboard engine maintenance and trouble shouting.
the engine is the one with the external petrol jericane,so beleive from 2002.
i can not find the papier anymore.

i bought a new yamaya 2.5hp 4 stroke for my little sailing boat , a colson 650
www.colsonyachtsdesign.com.au
and i have a 8 hp 2 stroke Evinrude long staft too , from my other boat
so i am not in a hurry to fix the 4 hp 4 stroke Tohatsu
the price of 650 dollarsto fix is too much to the value of the engine for me ..
and a small oil leak does not stop the engine to work .
so maybe i will sale it "as it is" to someone with more time , and more mecanic encline
but i will try to get the manuel anyway for my informations
thank you so much
and escuse my spelling, i am from France living in Australia
Catherine

Back