Logo

4.3L Starting/idling issues

1marc1

Contributing Member
K im fairly new to boating just bought my first one this year from a close family friend. Its a 2003 VIP with a 4.3L Mercruiser EFI. Im pretty mechanical, worked on many things throughout my life but total rookie marine mechanic now. Anyway I purchased the boat in winter, as far i knew it was winterized properly so when the warm weather came about i put another 60 bucks of regular into it and filled the tank. I've taken the boat out a couple times with no problems, always started good and always ran good. On May long weekend I had the boat wide open for a little while and probably had it trimmed up a bit too much cause i caught a weird wave and made the boat go a little snakey for a quick sec. After that i powered down to idle quickly and then shut off the engine right away. When i idled it down for that brief moment it seemed to still be running good from what i recall.....so i turned the ignition off, we just sat around for a brief couple minutes and talked. I went to go start the boat and nothing........it turned over and over and over and over. I was in complete disbelief why it was not starting especially an EFI. After a bit of cranking i figured it might be a good idea to give it some throttle and sure enough it fired and it seemed alright at a high RPM throttle but the second i'd drop it back to idle it would want to die and sputter. So after a couple minutes of trying to get it to go i finally got it to go from idle in to gear so we could get back to the boat launch on our way there it ran a lil weird on my low rpm's for a few seconds until i gave it more throttle and then it was back to life and back to normal. I just figured i flooded it and its ok now. But when we got back to the boat launch it was the same thing, took down to idle expecting it to be ok but no......it just wanted to stall out.

The next day i put the muffs on the boat expecting the same thing, that its not going to want to run.....but no it fired right away and ran. It idled at around 700 rpm but it was a rough idle, it loped and sounded as if the engine was cammed. It never at anytime seem to want to stall tho. So again i thought whatever it was its good again.* So the boat has sat for a while and we just decided to take it out again this weekend thinking that the problem was gone because it was idling fine in the yard. So we put the boat in the water and started it. It didn't start "as good" as it usually would of but it wasn't ran for a few weeks so i didn't think much of it.* The main thing was it started, (engine cold) and it was idling in the water (under load) now....so i was happy. So we went touring around and found a spot to go fishing after a little bit of a drive and again everything seemed all well and good at higher rpm driving around and sure enough as we found our fishing spot and i went to idle down it was sputtering and not itself. So i killed the ignition and we fished for awhile and again when i went to go start it.........nothing! I once again had to give it throttle in order to start, once i got it going i had to throttle up and then quickly try to go down to idle and then hope for the best i can get my prop to engage. After a few failed attempts i was able to get it to engage and we drove in (once again running fine at high rpm).

After coming in i checked if my injectors were firing normal and they seemed to be spraying fine. So i kinda ruled out the lack of fuel there. The next thing i went to was my distributer cap....i seen my contacts were corroded a bit so i shined them up a bit and figured that this had to be the problem. Corroded points not putting enough power to the plugs. So we dipped it back into the lake again and nope..........still nothing. It would only fire on throttle and didn't want to idle.* So now today after more reading i found a few forums with a couple guys who have similar problems as i do. I checked my exhaust shutters and they seem fine, i also have had the battery charger on my battery all day (not to mention) a new battery from last year......so im not sure if that could be it. I fired up the boat not long ago hoping perhaps it was the weak battery and it started right up and for a brief couple seconds it idled strong at 1000rpm on muffs, but then quickly went down to 700rpm and would lope and sound like it would want to die. So im completely stumped!? Whatever happened it all started from that weird wave i caught, it cant be fuel because it seems like my injectors are working 100%.......im thinking it has to do with spark or lack of!?! But would definitely like to hear what anyone else thinks! I would like to get this problem fixed and also save myself the few bucks not taking it into the shop.

Hi there, This sounds like maybe your IAC (idle air control valve motor) is not working properly.

The IAC should be located near or on the throttle body area depending on if it's EFI or MPI.

See if you can pull off the IAC to see if anything looks dirty.

Also if you have the MPI engine model, the IAC muffler is known to get dirty and been known to make the engine run like this at idle speeds.

See item numbers 6 & 16,
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...471.png&inbr=7801&bnbr=70&bdesc=Throttle+Body

Your engine should be idling at 600 RPM @ 154 + degrees. Make sure you're throttle cable is closing the throttle all the way by physically pulling on the throttle bracket stud item # 35.

Also, just to be on the safe side, you should pull your water separating fuel filter off and pour it into a clear container looking for water, debri, etc, then install a new filter.
35-802893Q01
FILTER, Fuel/Water Separating
35-802893Q
(Quicksilver Brand)
$10.90
$10.63
35-802893T
FILTER, Fuel/Water Separating
(Mercury Brand)

Is the flame arrestor dirty?

Due to the age of the boat, It sounds like it might be time for a full service like, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, oil's, stern drive pulled for lubing + inception, water pump impeller, etc.

Good luck to you with getting the engine to run properly.:)

Last edited:
Flame arrestor is fine.......after my battery got fully charged overnight i started the boat again on muffs this morning and i could tell it was running much better. It also seemed as if the injectors were spraying better/stronger than before. I did take off my fuel/water filter and dumped it. There was quite a bit of debris in there (but no water) so i will replace that. It could very well also be distributor cap or rotor to? Plugs were changed last year.

After i get the new fuel filter on, i will test the boat in the water with a fully charged battery. I'm hoping it is the battery cause when i come to think of it........when this all happened on may long weekend i was driving the boat with whatever charge was left in the battery over winter and we were playing the stereo rather loud quite a bit before this whole starting issue happened. I have a large stereo in the boat (kicker amp/subs etc etc) and i should really have 2 batteries in the boat for this reason. If the problem is not a weak battery or fuel filter, i will repost an update......and still curious to hear if anyone else has anything further to offer. Thanks!

Bought IAC today........was not it. Still idling rough on muffs, won't pick up lower rpms normally but at higher speeds its fine. So new fuel filter, new IAC.......still the same problem. Seems to be running rich at idle as well. Quite a bit of the gassy smoke happening, also looks like the injectors are firing erratic.

Look at the plugs...they will tell you which injector(s) are not spraying properly. You can take them out and have them all cleaned or run a pressurized can of injector cleaner attached to the fuel rail...instructions come w/the container ...you'll find it at major automotive suppliers like KOI (KY, OH, IN).

Sorry my engine is throttle body injected......it doesn't have the fuel rail. You can watch the injectors firing while it runs and im no expert and this is my first fuel injected boat but it does look like its getting too much fuel (i could be wrong). I actually had my throttle body apart yesterday, had the fuel line off and kind of just looked everything over. After putting it back together and starting it my boat idled and ran like it should for a brief few seconds and then went back to loping and idling rough. It hasn't idled that way since this issue started so for a brief second i thought i did something that fixed it but then went back to the way it was. The only thing i did differently than before was removed my fuel line from the throttle body. I had it somewhat apart before but never took my fuel line off.........so right now im kind of relating this issue with my fuel line?! Dunno how or if thats even possible? I just changed my filter last weekend too.......so not sure if its getting a vapor lock in it or what???

Dump the fuel out of the water/fuel separator and fill it w/Seafoam then run it until it starts to smoke heavily and then shut it off for 3-4 hrs. Start it back up and run the p..s out of it at 1500 RPM until it stops smoking. IF the injectors are dirty that will clean them and the carbon out of the combustion chambers.

Sorry my engine is throttle body injected......it doesn't have the fuel rail. You can watch the injectors firing while it runs and im no expert and this is my first fuel injected boat but it does look like its getting too much fuel (i could be wrong). I actually had my throttle body apart yesterday, had the fuel line off and kind of just looked everything over. After putting it back together and starting it my boat idled and ran like it should for a brief few seconds and then went back to loping and idling rough. It hasn't idled that way since this issue started so for a brief second i thought i did something that fixed it but then went back to the way it was. The only thing i did differently than before was removed my fuel line from the throttle body. I had it somewhat apart before but never took my fuel line off.........so right now im kind of relating this issue with my fuel line?! Dunno how or if thats even possible? I just changed my filter last weekend too.......so not sure if its getting a vapor lock in it or what???

I have a similar problem with my twin Mercuiser 4.3s. These are EFI engines with only 158 hours. Boat starts fines and runs fine as long as i don't turn it off. When I turn it off for more than 30 minutes and try to restart, the motors start up but rpms drop and they die out after 2-3 minutes. They won't restart from there. Happened three times, first the port engine, then the starboard. Today it happened to both engines. Two mechanics can't find anything wrong. All the filters have been changed and fuel pumps see to be working fine. Very frustrated by all of this. Any ideas anyone?

I have a similar problem with my twin Mercuiser 4.3s. These are EFI engines with only 158 hours. Boat starts fines and runs fine as long as i don't turn it off. When I turn it off for more than 30 minutes and try to restart, the motors start up but rpms drop and they die out after 2-3 minutes. They won't restart from there. Happened three times, first the port engine, then the starboard. Today it happened to both engines. Two mechanics can't find anything wrong. All the filters have been changed and fuel pumps see to be working fine. Very frustrated by all of this. Any ideas anyone?

I am having the exact same problem with same setup . 2003 4.3MPI twins . I've replaced all ignition parts, checked to make sure the rotor is pointing to #1 when crank at TDC. Compression is 145-150 n every cyl, replaced the fuel pump checked all vac lines. new IAC still but its still hard to start wont idle and is running lean (when I do start it with lots of throttle its raspy sounding at the intake definitely running lean) I suspect the IAC is bad out of the box and or one or both IAC hoses are dry rot cracked and leaking vacuum. Don't know where else to look. HELP!!! Please, anyone have any other ideas??

I am having the exact same problem with same setup . 2003 4.3MPI twins . I've replaced all ignition parts, checked to make sure the rotor is pointing to #1 when crank at TDC. Compression is 145-150 n every cyl, replaced the fuel pump checked all vac lines. new IAC still but its still hard to start wont idle and is running lean (when I do start it with lots of throttle its raspy sounding at the intake definitely running lean) I suspect the IAC is bad out of the box and or one or both IAC hoses are dry rot cracked and leaking vacuum. Don't know where else to look. HELP!!! Please, anyone have any other ideas??

The solution for me was to have a mechanic install booster pumps on the fuel lines between the gas tanks and the engine. In the summer the heat in the engine compartment is so high after you have been running the engines the fuel vaporizes before it gets to the fuel pumps on the engines, essentially vapor lock. The 4.3s are notorious for this problem and Mercruiser issued a bulletin about this. It cost me $1200 and some searching to find mechanics who knew about the problem but it solved it.

Back