Logo

4.3 V6 Mericruiser Motor having problems starting

rogerintn

For the life of me, I cannot seem to get my boat up and running and am very flustard to say the least. Please help.......

My motor is brand new that was installed this year. I took it out once with after getting it back and had to put new altenator. Took it out the second time to add a carborator rebuild. I discovered when taking out the third time, the starter housing broke inside the fly wheel. The fly wheel turns freely so I installed a new starter. Then I discovered it needed a new solenoid because it was ticking when I tried to start it. So with all this being said, I still cannot get it to start. When I turn the key over, it ticks. Any suggestions anyone can give me please I would be SO greatful! Last year on fathers day, I was graced with a blown rod to lead to a new motor. :mad:

btw all lights come on & altenator gauge reads fine and battery is charged.

Thanks much!

I agree,

Merc uses a slave solenoid. RARELY does the starter solenoid go unless exposed to a lot of moisture.

Look at the engine, the front left side (as you are looking at it) there should be a slave solenoid. This is a common failure component.

Thank you both! I will check this as soon as I get home today and post what the outcome was.

Are there any diagrams with pictures on the internet that I could pull to follow so I know exactly where it is at or what I am looking for? I am still learning about this boat and all the different boat parts.

Thank you again for your help.

Here it is in schematic form, may not be exact for your application (v8 vs v6) but the wiring is the same, Note the slave solenoid in the upper right of diagram it does look like the pictures.

View attachment 2369

Welp, I located the slave solenoid...tested it....discovered it was bad...replaced it with a new one. Tested the solenoid on top of the starter and it is good. I tested the slave solenoid once more just for humor and of course it was good since it is brand new and I still cannot get it to start. Clicking noise when I turn over the key. Where do I go from here?? Any suggesstions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

corroded connection at the starter, bag neg battery cable connection at the block.How didi you test the starter solenoid?
jumping main battery to "S" terminal (closest to the block) should spin the engine. jumpimg the 2 large lugs on the slave should spin the motor.

Make sure battery is good....plus terms are good and clean and tight....test battery cables for voltage drop, max .5 volts
WoW new motor and having all these problems....when you say new explain, rebuild, used but new to you.... starter housing broke why, did get damage any part of ring gear

Steve

I put the battery cable on the starter (red on hot and grounded on motor) for result of the appendix kicking out on the starter therefore revealing the starter is good. I checked the starter, altenator, solenoid and circuit breaker and all is giving off 13 volts. When I say new, you are correct, it was new to me but a rebuilt motor. The man that done it, gave me a receipt that stated if the motor does not run right, he will make it right and that it is a 6 month warranty. We got the boat back in April of this year. And I have no ideal why the starter housing broke....no ideal at all! We initially took the boat back to the shop that done the motor work because it wasn't running right to later get a call telling us the carborator had to be rebuilt and that was not part of the warranty and was $175 bucks. So we are sketish to take it back for all this other stuff going wrong. I never dreamed getting a new (rebuilt motor) put it would result in all this other stuff....I am ready to sell and go buy something else because it seems we can never get ahead of all the issues. I'm not sure what else to check......

Thank you for all the help!

Try this take jumper cables, and use black cable. Put one to battery neg and the order on good ground on the engine, see what happens.
If motor turns over your ground cable is bad. If still doesn't work, hook up red cable to positive side of battery then put cable to yellow/red wire on starter and see what happens.... Let me know

Steve

Not sure what you are saying now...In one write-up you say turn key and only get click right...
Then you take cables and jump starter, and you say starter is kicking, what does that mean....

Steve

Sorry for the huge delay in response. I have been working alot of hours and have not been able to work on my motor. when I said kicking out, I meant the starter is engaging and spinning fine when i tested it.

Try this take jumper cables, and use black cable. Put one to battery neg and the order on good ground on the engine, see what happens.
(I did this as you suggested and the motor turned maybe a quarter of a turn and would do no more. I attempted again, and it sounded awful and never would start up)

If motor turns over your ground cable is bad.

If still doesn't work, hook up red cable to positive side of battery then put cable to yellow/red wire on starter and see what happens.... Let me know (Nothing occured when I done this at all)

How bad does the flywheel have to be before it will not work for the starter to engage and turn the flywheel to start the motor? I guess I am getting ready to take it back to the man that put the motor in for him to more than likely tell me that it's not his problem as I don't know what else it can be.

Thank you for all the help. And please forgive me if I do not speak in proper term when talking about this motor, this is still new to me and I am learning everyday.

Back