Logo

4.3 mercruiser not starting

hossman2000

I have to drive a ways to get to a boat shop, so I need to know if I need to drive for a part, or haul my boat. When I try to start the motor I only get a single loud click down by the starter. I checked the slave solenoid and have power on 1 large post in the off position, and get power to the second large post and the smaller yellow wire in the start position. On the starter solenoid I have power on the red post in the off position and get power to the jumper line betweend the solenoid/starter in the start position. I have banged on the starter/solenoid area with a wrench and this has gotten the motor to start a couple of times. Could the solenoids still be bad with the way I checked them, or is this maybe a starter issue?

Smacking the small permanent Magnet starter will damage it. Clean the connection between the solenoid and the actual starter motor. Sometimes this is all that is wrong. If this does not correct your problem, pick up a new starter.

Could be the starter but do yourself a favour; pull plugs and check for water. While they are off, try starting again. If she cranks and pushes out water through plug holes, she hydraulocked. Would hate to have you replace starter, try again, still have the issue and possibly cause serious damage. Seen it happen too many times. If she still doesn't crank, possibly the starter. If there's water, you need to find out why.

Back