Logo

4.3 L Locked up and now turns over very slow. All help appreciated

bikermjp

I had this posted in another area and it was suggested I try posting here in this section. Hi everyone. I have a problem that I need some help with. I had the boat out and was towing the kids on a tube. I took a sharp turn and when we straightened out the boat seemed to have less power. When I throttled down the engine quit and would not turn over at all any more. When I lifted the engine cover it seemed to be ticking and popping like it was over heated. This is what I did to try and check what could be wrong.

1. Checked cooling lines and all had water coming out of drain plugs.
2. Checked engine oil and no water present in oil.
3. Removed spark plugs and serpentine belt and the engine turned over very very slowly no water on pistons.
4. Checked battery voltage and it was fine.

Thanks in advance any and all help from you guys out there would be greatly appreciated it was our first trip on the water this year.

like it was over heated.
What was the temp when it quit? Impeller was replaced when? Battery cables tight and clean on both ends? What year and SN? Was the alternator charging the battery? Get the battery load tested.

Welcome aboard... Wish it was under better circumstances.

With the plugs out and a good battery and starter, the engine should spin fast, faster then with the plugs in.

The drive can also slow down the engine, say with a half frozen gimbal bearing.

Or fugazied gears, capiche ?

Me i like to jump the battery with a car or a good charger and see if it spins faster if yes the battery is discharged or gave up the
" Ghost ".

Who say's i don't have a sense of humor ?

So you ran the engine and the drain plugs had water shooting out, that only means water was making it to the plugs not out the elbows.

Lets do some tests.

Pressure test the engine...Put air to the green arrow hose block the red x hoses. You can thank Hystat for the picture post #6.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...446-water-going-into-the-engine-into-the-oil&

Compression test first you already have the plugs out, screw in type gauge, put the throttle fully down.

Post back !

Last edited:
Back