Logo

38 hi idle cold

sniceboat

"1982 OMC- 3.8
When cold it s

"1982 OMC- 3.8
When cold it starts up slow (1500rpm -) then revs up slowly...after about 4-5 min I'm looking at 3000-3200 rpm
I think the cold idle is not shutting down, my temp gauge then reads about 200
This is a new boat to me ...am i looking at some thing that may be normal for this motor or do I have an issue? I certainly am leary of shifting at that rpm
(had to shut it down.. neighbors were giving me looks)
PS: got the previous posting "gear lube" thing worked out. THANKS"

"sounds like the choke might b

"sounds like the choke might be sticking on, but it could be several things, like carb float, failing fuel pump diaphragm, distributor advance, sticking or bent linkages. DO NOT shift into gear at that rpm."

"hey Chris ive got the same en

"hey Chris ive got the same engine ...at least yours is running, im trying to get some info on replacement blocks as well, i posted a new thread with pics take a look"

"different engine Kevin. The l

"different engine Kevin. The last Buick in a boat was 1972. This 82 engine is a Chevrolet V6, 229 cid, not 225 or 231 like the Buick"

"oh and i would try the easy

"oh and i would try the easy route, sticky choke 1st
use some carb cleaner
run it thru the sys.
and then a little WD 40
to coat and protect"

"Yes it is a Chevy
Finaly got

"Yes it is a Chevy
Finaly got time to run it in the water and not disturb the neighbors.
Started up slow and then reved up slowly (to about 2000). Temp stayed under 200 (guess the earmufs are not letting enough h2o in). Pulled out the shift and reved up then back to idle..engine speed dropped to 1000 (better)
but... can't find a diagram of this carb (Rochester 2) and don't know witch needle to adjust. I see 2, facing bow behind the thermostat housing and can't get a screwdriver to either..
Can't get it to idle below 900 in gear.}"

do not shift above 700 rpm the

do not shift above 700 rpm the lower unit will fail. OMC manual has all the info to set the screws on the carburetor. Sounds more like a vacuum leak or timing advance issue to me though.

I got that from your previous

I got that from your previous message. Thanks.
I did have to see how much of a drop I got in gear/out of gear. (my specs show 500-600 in forward). Am shooting for 700-900 at no load.

Back