Logo

360 Engine winterization

spaulding0

"Sorry everyone, posted this t

"Sorry everyone, posted this to another thread in error.

I have an 89 Rampage with a 360 inboard. Pulled boat from ocean for the season yesterday, inserted hose into strainer and flushed engine for 5 minutes with fresh water. Began pouring antifreeze into strainer to winterize. Poured about 1/2 gallon before suction at strainer stopped. Any ideas? I'm thinking weak impeller, but thought I would pick your brains first. Thanks in advance"

"I will be posting the officia

"I will be posting the official Chrysler winterizing directions on our site in the next day ( I might have it done by the time you read this. You can check it on our site www.chryslercrew.com

Dave"

"Hello Jeff,

No , I did not

"Hello Jeff,

No , I did not turn it off, just started pouring the antifreeze in the strainer as I removed the hose. Pulled the impeller and looks good. Maybe air? Can the system "lock" if air gets in? will be working more on it this week.

Thanks to all

Mike"

You might have a bubble in the

You might have a bubble in the system. Here's an easy method to fix it:
Remove the upstream hose from the strainer and raise it up vertically as high as possible and tie it off securely. Place a large funnel in the hose end. Fill the hose and funnel then start the engine but make sure you have plenty of jugs of opened antifreeze ready to pour in.

My 360's take 4 gallons each before they even start to spit pink stuff out the exhaust.

"Mike. I see the crew helped y

"Mike. I see the crew helped you out. Like your boat, good blue water boat. A 24 sold with trailer on ebay resently for about $10000.00 1600Hrs. Like the 28 also. Your boats and equipment is so inexpensive compared to here. Australian boat builders had an aversion to mid mount motors below 26 feet. We were lumbered with 25 Bertrams with merc[twin/sd or single/sd]. Here we do not have to winterize. If any one is interested Google Earth Brisbane Australia. If you ever visit bring you fresh water. In drought. Bears are only small, but can still be nasty if cornered. Frederick Pel"

"Thank you everyone.

I gave

"Thank you everyone.

I gave it another shot. Hose in strainer and little throttle got the suction going again, pulled antifreeze fine and life is good. I appreciate the help.

Frederick, yes our prices are better, particularly these days with gas high (4.83 at marina) I paid 15K, but everything had been rebuilt recently (70hrs) by one of the best in this area(Maine) Boat is great in rough water, like a boat much bigger, but the trade is fuel. I also like the 28', but is more boat than I need.

Water is something we have plenty of!"

"Paid $3.69 the other day. To

"Paid $3.69 the other day. Too bad the freakin' boating seaon is almost over! At least, we can afford to fill the tanks for winter storage without having to rob a bank.

Jeff

PS: Saw auto gas down to $2.65 the other day."

"How critical is it to fog the

"How critical is it to fog the cylinders? It's not something I want to do, and she'll be running again in five months at the most. Staying in the water, I can understand some risk of moisture coming in through the exhaust, but I had no problems the last two times I wintered over. Those weren't Chrysler engines, though."

"Jim I don't fog the engin

"Jim I don't fog the engine on my boats, what I do is drain the block ( open the petcocks) then once it is drained I close them and fill the block, exhaust manifolds and I also fill the line coming to the raw water pump from the stern drive with the RV antifreeze. I know a lot of folks don't fill with rv antifreeze but I figure a couple dollars is cheaper than having a damaged block or elbow / manifold.

Dave"

"Jim:

Not critical to fog t

"Jim:

Not critical to fog the motor, but why not since it's easy to do: Pull the coil wire at the distributpr and ground it to the block. Remove the flame arrestor, open the throttle, and spray the fogging oil down the throats for about 10 to 15 seconds.

David:

Lots of people winterize like you do and get away with it. I, for one, always pump the Pink Stuff through with the motor so no areas remain unprotected. I sleep better that way.

Jeff"

"I still use transmission flui

"I still use transmission fluid poured into the carb just before the pink stuff finishes. Pour some slowly for about 5 seconds, then enough to stall the motor. It has worked OK on my 5.7 mercruiser sterndrive, can't imagine it needs to be different on the 440's.
Eddie"

Back