Logo

35hp Mercury Bad Stator

ram

" I own a 1988 35hp mercury en

" I own a 1988 35hp mercury engine. I seem to have an electrical problem. The engine will run at 5400rpm and suddenly bog down to around 3000rpm. It may continue to run at that speed for a short time or for the rest of the day. Occassionally, it will suddenly surge and run at 5400rpm again. I noticed once while running at 5400rpm that the tach needle suddenly fell to 0 and immediately returned to 5400rpm. Within a very short time the engine bogged and fell to 3000rpm.It seems from past discussions that this may be a stator issue. Please advise. "

" Ram,

One of those p

" Ram,

One of those past discussions was refering to my merc. 115. The problem wasn't as severe as yours, the "bog" would only last a second or so, after slightly decreasing and then increasing throttle, the problem would dissappear. My tach also stopped working once, and the engine did "bog" a short time later.

The best suggestion I got was to swap out the stator with a know to be good one, and if I can ever get it to "bog" long enough to pull/replace the spark plug wires as the engine "bogs", to try and determine if one of the plugs is failing to fire (if a wire is pulled off the plug with no effect on engine perfomance, that plug is not firing for sure). If you try this be sure to use a pliers with rubber-insulated handles to avoid being shocked.

The first thing you may want to do is get the manual for that engine and go around with a multi-meter, checking to be sure all the readings for the stator are correct; if something is wrong there, you will know for sure that the stator is bad. If it all checks out, the stator still may be bad, and your best bet may end up being to replace it anyway - which is what I'm headed for with mine.

Jon "

Back