Logo

35hp merc. Can’t get it to shift after removing the lower unit

Bill mat

Ok so I replaced the water pump and have tried to get the unit back and when I do the unit won’t shift through the gears. With the unit off I can move the shift shaft from rev,nuetral,and forward. I have the cables off because the remount control won’t go into rev even with the cables off of it.. can it be fix? The cables work good. Should I be able to shift the motor by hand with the cables off by moving where the cables are supposed to hook too? Is it worth trying to fix the remote shifter or should I replace it. The motor is a 1986. HELP and THANKS

Did you remove the lower unit with control in neutral ??-----If so that remove lower unit again.----Put cables back in place.----Put control in neutral.------Put lower unit in neutral and assemble.-------Most mechanics shift control to forward when servicing the water pump.

A very common event after water pump work.-----Hopefully you did no damage during your work.----You are aware that the prop must be turned when shifting from neutral to reverse.

Ok so I have the lower unit on and it shifts into forward,neutral and reverse I still think it is wrong. If I push back on the shifter mechanism that the cables hook up to (on the motor) it goes into forwards and if I push the mechanism forward towards the bow it clicks into reverse. In between it’s neutral. This seems backwards to me. Do I have it hooked up wrong? I down have a remote shifter yet I am working on getting one. Thanks

Back