Logo

35 hp oil injected mercury cant get started

Kyle Krist

it was running 3-4 yrs ago but not it just wont even try to start the starter just spins forever and theres no spark at all and no fuel going to the cylinders

Did you take a look under the engine cover for anything obvious...rotted wiring would be one, rotted fuel lines another? What is the SN?

fuel lines are all fine and the wireing isnt rotten at all the serial number is ob306297
there is one wire that goes from the from were the massive wire hook up is for the throttle
the wire is tan-blue and there is oil/gas coming from around the prop and not from the center of the prop

the wire is tan-blue
That is the overheat and low oil alarm circuit. The fuel issue is likely the carb passages are plugged w/dried hardened varnish...it is going to take a good soak in carb cleaner and blowout w/compressed air. Rebuild the fuel pump while you are at it...it is likely needed,

Last edited:
In order for your motor to run you need 4 things !------Compression ----spark at the right time ---fuel ----------- crankcase compression.----------There is always a chance that oil leaked into and filled the carburetor.------------------------Drain carburetor , check for strong spark and do a compression test.

It is a 2 stroke motor !-----Oil may have leaked into the carburetor and the motor will not run on oil alone.------Drain carburetor as that procedure costs nothing.

i have the center fir spark plugs were it ignights against the piston head
No...they have a fixed gap and the spark jumps from the center to the rim of the plug...what do they look like? This is the only plug you should use: MERC. PN 33-97180Q - NGK BUHW. A new set can't hurt.

Last edited:
I do know how your motor works / should work !------Your problem could very well be WAY TOO MUCH OIL in the carburetor.-----Drain the carburetor and put in fresh fuel.-------Check to see if spark will jump a gap of 3/8" or better.----------A systematic approach to this motor will get you some results !!!

how do u tell if theres a spark on them
Leave the wire attached to the plug and ground the plug's case to the engine while cranking it. If you can't see the spark in the daylight you should hear it as a loud "snap" each time it fires. Get a spark gap tester and attach the plug wires to it while you crank it...you'll see the spark if it's good. Get some help from an engine knowledgeable friend.

Do you have good spark ???-------------Do you have good compression ??-----------Do you have a proper fuel mix in the carburetor ???-------Do you hear a click when you push in the key to operate the choke ??----I try to point folks in the right direction and teach trouble shooting.--------Sometimes folks do not want to learn.

You can ask questions all day long but if you don't respond w/action you will never get fuel in the carbs or spark from the plugs. You have been given several things to do so I suggest that you take some action now and get back w/the results. Otherwise maybe you should just take it to someone that works on OB engines.

i put the carborator in the claerner and left it overnight and reinstalled it and i got new spark plugs but im still not getting sparkand also no fuel to the cylinderalso there is a purple wire with a female end whats that for?

With throttle wide open you want to see over 100 psi but more important the compression should be within 10-15% between cylinders.

Push the throttle lever forward as far as it will go. Disable the ignition by tripping the kill switch. Pull the plug wires off the plugs and ground the plug wire electrodes to the engine. Remove the spark plugs. insert the compression gauge threaded end into one plug hole snug. Crank the engine for 5 seconds and read the gauge...write it down. Do the same for the other cylinder...write it down. Compare the two readings and report your findings here.

Back