Logo

35 hp johnson hard to pull start part 2

akdperry1

"i originally posted with a ha

"i originally posted with a hard pull start topic for my 1981 johnson 35hp seahorse. a suggestion was made to make sure the plug were the correct length. they are NGK but i checked and they are the proper plugs. now i'm not sure what else to check. when i try to pull the manual start cord, i get about 8" of rope out and then it becomes nearly impossible to pull. only when plugs are in. when plugs are out it turns freely. any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks to those who have already posted suggestions"

Get some J4C champion plugs. A

Get some J4C champion plugs. As I mentioned the normal plug recommended for this engine is L77JC4 (Champion). On previous models They (OMC) used J4C which has shorter theads. Someone may have changed head to an older type!
If the map and landscape does not match - follow the landscape!

"I agree with Morten--
but he

"I agree with Morten--
but here is a small test--
start retracting the plugs a bit at a time and see if you reach a point where you can pull the rope all the way out--or better yet, take the plugs out and start turning them back in until you feel the piston hit them--or place one of the pistons at top dead center and see how far you can thread the plugs in--be sure you have the seal on the plug, that small distance could make all the difference--"

Pull the fly wheel to and see

Pull the fly wheel to and see if the fly wheel key may be about half sheared . If it is this won't let the timming fire right and it will try to fire at the wrong time and let it lock like that to.
Like has been suggested get those NGK plugs out and put some champions in it.

"Mortens comment about the hea

"Mortens comment about the head being changed is very poiniant. Having restored a 47 dodge pickup, i learned that you cannot assume that all the pieces are original or even serviceable replacements--until you know for sure, EVERY PART should be suspect."

thanks to everyone who wrote o

thanks to everyone who wrote on this topic. i switched from my NGK to champion L77JC4 and the motor has started to run. i've fiddled with the lean /rich and it is now running fairly well. i must mention that i bought this for $25 from a guy who had given up on it and decided it wasn't worth fiddling with. it was worth the trouble. thanks again

"Simply having a NKG spark plu

"Simply having a NKG spark plug doesn't guarantee that you have the correct plug as the digits following NKG designate specificly what the plug is. I believe they also manufacture long reach plugs for sutomotive use which would have an extremely long reach?

Switching to Champion spark plugs QL77JC4 or L77JC4 as per Mort's reply was a smart move. You'll find possibly that the best gap setting, as per OMC's recommendation, would be .040 .

The "Q" plug designation indicates a suppressor type spark plug which would quiet ignition etc noise from interfering with any electronic equipment one might have on their rig."

Back