Logo

318 water pump suction problem

prestonstark

"Low hour engine, used regular

"Low hour engine, used regularly with recent raw water pump problem. (This is dual impeller type with bypass from thermostat back to inlet piping)The following was done- replaced thermostat, flushed cooling lines/oil cooler, replaced hose (correct type) from thru hull fitting to inlet piping and hose from thermostat back to inlet piping (did find someone had put a "plug" in the line), flushed-checked thru hull fitting, flushed checked inlet piping. Finally removed the hoses from outlet side of pump and found it would only pump with inlet hose filled using garden hose. No suction. Found pump impellers to be fine.... Just installed a NEW Sherwood pump- same problem, no suction. I am stumped."

I came across a Chrysler servi

I came across a Chrysler service bulletin in the engine manual for my Trojan. The plug about the size of a quarter with sides and a +/- 3/8" hole was installed in the 1" elbow hose on thermostat housing to restrict flow on cold running engines if my memory serves me well. Will check when I get back to boat and let you know.

You may have reversed the inle

You may have reversed the inlets and outlets of the pump. It's easy to do. The pump body rotates so you may have rotated it 180 degrees so the suction side is now connected to the hoses TO}} the engine while the discharge side is headed to the seacock.

Back