Logo

318 issues 1977 28' silverton

gtmci84s

I just bought a 1977 28' Silverton. The boat was still in dry dock when I got it so I never heard it do any thing other than run for a second before I bought it. I had it splashed, and it seemed to run great, other than a small skip in the starboard motor. A couple days later, I took it out on the lake and it ran great. Ran it for about 30 min with no problems until I came back into the canal and slowed down to idle, and the starboard engine quit. I tried starting it a few more times, and it would fire but wouldn't run under about 1800rpms. I ended up bringing it in on the one motor. I came back the next day and changed the in line fuel filter on the starboard motor, and put fuel treatment in the tank. The motor ran good at the dock. This past Saturday we took the boat about 90 miles (by water) to my home marina. The starboard motor ran good, but would only run 26-2800 rpms at full throttle. It got me up the lake just fine, but I ran the port motor at 2800 with a lot of throttle left. Got to the channel at the end of Cayuga and it idled fine. Got to our first lock, left the boat idling in the lock, the gate opened up and as I gave it throttle pulling out, the troubled motor quit. The motor fired right back up and would run, but stall out when I gave it throttle, unless I really goosed it, then I could get it to run fine at about 1300rpms. It ran fine at idle and above 1200rpms the rest of the way through the canal, and ran good at 2600 coming down Seneca, then ran good at lower rpms in the canal at the south end of the lake. I'm just looking for some opinions of why my one motor will max out at only 26-2800rpms, and will not run any where between 800 and 1200rpms. The previous owner told me that one of the carbs was rebuilt last year, and the the other one needed it, so that's my first guess. I'm also thinking that the timing may be the issue. I assume it isn't bad gas, sense both motors run off of the same tank, and the port motor runs flawlessly. It is an electronic ignition, so points are ruled out. Any info would be great. Thanks a lot.

Rebuild the suspect carb. Change the fuel water separator filters. Check if you have anti siphon valves and if they're working properly. Check your base and advanced timing.

-JJ

How did I know that was the answer I was gonna get? lol thanks. It helps when I hear it from other people though. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Would it hurt to swap carbs between the two engines and see if that's what the issue is?

If you're going to take the carbs off, you might as well have the suspect one rebuilt. Taking it off and putting it back on is half the work. No need to do it twice. Besides, the suspect carb could probably use a rebuild anyway considering your other carb was recently rebuilt.

-JJ

I don't even know for sure which one was rebuilt. I know that the one on the troubled motor actually looks cleaner. When we stopped half way on our trip Saturday, my buddy was down in the hole looking at something, and he said that it was the carb on the port motor that was running good. So for now, I think that'll be my first step.

What's the best/cheapest place to buy rebuild kits. I know a guy who rebuilds them as a hobby, all i need to do is buy the kit, but maybe I'll attempt to do it my self. It's probably a good skill to know.

Check online. There's rebuilt kits everywhere.

I had my Carter AFBs rebuilt by Hobbs Carburetor in Pelham NH. They look and function like new.

-JJ

Back