Logo

318 Big Time Blow by

Similar to Jake Gruber's m

Similar to Jake Gruber's message only on a rebuilt 318.

The engine was apparently rebuilt about 10 years ago and sat for that long before I put it back together this winter and just now - this week - fired it up in the moisture missle.

I am getting gargantuan blow by to the point that it's coming out the exhaust and when the engine shuts down it smokes for a good 15-20 minutes.

Cold compression tests tell me I only have 90 all the way along one bank and 100 all the way along the other bank.

Could the rings be sitting tight - perhaps seized - on the pistons?

Is this situation likely to improve with a few hours of running as the rings get lubed and hot?

Anyone with any experience with this problem in a "new" rebuild?

Thanks

Mark

"I had an experience one time,

"I had an experience one time, where the rings were put in upside down. Lots of blow by.

I would think that it would be a stretch to have ALL the rings seized."

"It's possible if it sat t

"It's possible if it sat that long. Pull the plugs and squirt LOTS of kerosene into each cylinder. Wheel it over and squirt it again, then let it sit for a few days. Replace the plugs, fire it up and run it at high idle for a while, blipping the throttle solidly now and then. With a little luck the rings will free up.

Jeff"

"And, then I forgot to post my

"And, then I forgot to post my previous to last message where I said thanks for the advice. I will have time to do that this week.

Mark"

Back