Logo

30hp johnson head gasket

hello again guys I have questi

hello again guys I have question I could not find an answer to in the archives.

I replaced a head gasket and all water jacket gaskets on my 1996 30hp johnson. When I test fired her up in a barrel I noticed a very slight seaping of water out 2 places along the outside of the head gasket. I torqued everthing down to the manual specs but noticed after warm up the head bolts seemed like they lossened up? I retightened the head bolts and no water is now visible anywhere? I ran the motor today at top speed and trolled around for a 1/2 hour...it ran perfect no missing or problems at all. How do I know I'm ok now..by looking at the plugs? the exhaust?? all seems fine..thanks

"fr what,i understand,u r conc

"fr what,i understand,u r concerned,about wtr lkage.....soo,..if it is slight,it will seal,itself due to calcium,etc...if it really bugs u,..pull the hd,apply aviation formagasket to both sds of gasket,torque to specs....re-torque after cooled..if it still lks,..tighten her down,till it stops!"

yes..and thanks..I think I may

yes..and thanks..I think I may have it tightened down slightly over specs like at about 30-35 it calls for 20-25..I was worried about tightening too much?? but man it isn't leaking and really ripped up and down the lake tonight with no problems..is a tiny bit of seepage into the piston ok or will this reseal too after warmup and calcium build up?

"no,no seepage into cylinder,i

"no,no seepage into cylinder,i was referring to a lk outside...u may have a warped hd,in which case,..it needs attn....."

ok I will check the plugs clos

ok I will check the plugs close see if there is any water on them ...wouldn't the exhuast look whitish if there was water in the clynder? The exhaust looked normal blueish tone after warm up ..no sputtering or missing to note

Back