Logo

302 automobile to marine conversion

stickandtin

I am new to the forum. I am laying the groundwork and gathering info to build a 20ft. barrelback. I have a 302 long block that I rebuilt for automotive use but after becoming interested in building this boat, thought I might be able to convert it for use in the boat. I have several questions. I am getting the idea from reading that the automotive and marine long blocks are the same with maybe the exception of the cam.

First, am I wasting my time/money trying to convert this 302 for marine use? When I rebuilt it, I installed an RV cam to give more torque at lower rpms. As I said earlier, it is a long block with the intake bolted on. Non of the other bolt on stuff is installed. After doing some reading, I have become aware that the starter, carb, fuel pump, water pump, exhaust manifolds, distributor, etc all have to be adapted for marine use. This leads me to my second question. If this long block can be adapted, can someone provide me with a list of everything I will need to do the conversion and some cost effective sources for the parts.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

I am new to the forum. I am laying the groundwork and gathering info to build a 20ft. barrelback. I have a 302 long block that I rebuilt for automotive use but after becoming interested in building this boat, thought I might be able to convert it for use in the boat. I have several questions. I am getting the idea from reading that the automotive and marine long blocks are the same with maybe the exception of the cam.

First, am I wasting my time/money trying to convert this 302 for marine use? When I rebuilt it, I installed an RV cam to give more torque at lower rpms. As I said earlier, it is a long block with the intake bolted on. Non of the other bolt on stuff is installed. After doing some reading, I have become aware that the starter, carb, fuel pump, water pump, exhaust manifolds, distributor, etc all have to be adapted for marine use. This leads me to my second question. If this long block can be adapted, can someone provide me with a list of everything I will need to do the conversion and some cost effective sources for the parts.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

Ayuh,.... It'll work just Fine the way ya built it, 'n Yes, ya need Marine Trimmin's for it,...

The quick, easy, 'n cheap, is buy an ole Merc Sbf, that's freeze cracked, or otherwise dead, 'n use It's trimmin's...
Or a dead Volvo Sbf...

Buyin' New,.... It'd be Cheaper to buy a bobtail Chevy, than to dress yer Ford,...

Ford's been outa the Marine business, for a Long time now...
'n due to their lack of popularity, parts were always at a premium...

Ditto on Bondo's recommendation - go with a GM 305 or 350 block. That's what is in most of the gasoline marine power plants (e.g. Crusader, Mercury, etc.) It will be very difficult finding headers and risers and other stuff you need for the 302. What ever you go with, be sure to replace the oil pan with an aluminum one, and change out the freeze plugs. The OEM pan and plugs will rust out pretty quickly.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was wanting to use the 302 since it is a fresh rebuild and I thought I could save some money. Am I correct in assuming the merc and volvo engines Bondo mentioned use the 302 block? If I can't find a dead merc or volvo organ donor, guess I'm looking at buying a rebuilt 305 or 350. Appreciate your time and advice.

Ron

Thanks for the advice guys. I was wanting to use the 302 since it is a fresh rebuild and I thought I could save some money. Am I correct in assuming the merc and volvo engines Bondo mentioned use the 302 block? If I can't find a dead merc or volvo organ donor, guess I'm looking at buying a rebuilt 305 or 350. Appreciate your time and advice.

Ron

Ayuh,.... Merc used the 302s, 'n 351s through the 70s, endin' in 79 or 80....

Volvo used the 302s up til 95 I believe...

Back