Logo

30 Litre engine half way swamped

bob_finch

"Boy it rains a lot in the Sea

"Boy it rains a lot in the Seattle area. We didn't pull the drain plug after a recent outing and the first time I went to look inside, water was up to just above the oil filter, on a 3 litre GMC OMC cobra. There wasn't a whole lot of oil/gas slick on the water (the amount could easily be explained by oil/gas on the outside of the block.

So the starter, fuel pump, oil filter, part of the alternator were all submerged. Water didn't make it as high as the heads. The oil looks clear - no milk.

What should I do (other than draining it
happy.gif
which I did)?

Thanks for any advice. I've learned my lesson regarding the drain plug."

"dry it out (as much as po

"dry it out (as much as possible in sunny Seattle) and spray it down with corrosion guard or equivalant. plan on replacing starter, and alternator. change your oil/filters when you winterize. the top of the filters can rust thru pretty easy. fuel pump should not be damaged by water. the main enemy is rust."

"It started up just fine. Afte

"It started up just fine. After about 30 seconds, milky oil/water came out the valve cover breather tube (connected to the carb. spark arrestor).

Anything to be overly concerned with? Does the milky oil indicate that water got from the outside of the block to the inside? Should I just change the oil, corrosion guard it, and call it good?

BTW - if the starter and alternator are operational now, and I run them and get them as dry as possible, do you think they might survive?

Thanks,
Bob"

"if this was the first time yo

"if this was the first time you ran it, the water was probably there frrom the start. it would lay at the bottom of the pan, and only show as high oil level until you ran and mixed it. you will need to change it at least twice to clear it. the electrics may work for a while, but will certainly fail in time. better to change them now than end up drifting in the sound wondering which rock the current will put you on. good luck. S."

Back