Logo

30 hp merc 4 stroke running rough

thumper dad

Hello, I have a 4 stroke 30 hp mercury outboard. It is electric start with the push in key for choke. The motors starts great, but runs like the choke is stuck on. It runs very rough, and you cannot get full performance. Example- I put the boat in gear and accelerate the boat hesitantly picks up a bit then flatens out. It doesnt stall but runs very rough and no acceleration. I used to get 24-28 mph, now I am lucky if I can plane the boat. If you push the key in to choke while the boat is running it has no effect. I would appreciate any help.
Judd

Pushing the key in should have an effect on the motor.------It should slow down with too much fuel being added.----So you are right about checking the choke system.-Possibly stuck on like you suspect.

I took the enrichener out and put it to 12 vDC and there was movement. But it looks like it isnt retracting all the way back. I am going to see if the dealer has one tommorow.

I have a similar problem that I check out myself on a used motor I bought. I corrected many problems with the wiring, redid the carbs and tuned it up. Still runs rough like you explained. I have it at a shop now and I will let you know what the outcome is when I have an answer. My electronics have ohmed good but he suspects a voltage problem within the stator.

Well I put the boat in the water and it runs like crap again. Sounds great in the driveway though. Maybe I will just start fishing in my yard.

Boat is running great now. The end cap of the float valve on my bottom carb somehow popped out a millimeter, and cause a no fuel situation. This threw me for a loop because it was so minute of a detail. New float is in and motor is running great.

Back