Logo

30 hp JRLEC30

I posted about the starting is

I posted about the starting issues a while back the carb seems fine.cold start ups are still an issue.

Question: how does an outboard act when the fuel pump goes bad?? will it run ok and then start chugging or shutting off?

This outboard rips!! at top speed no problems.

thanks chris

What is your procedure for sta

What is your procedure for starting it when cold?? Defective Fuel pumps usually do not supply enough fuel at higher RPM's. Have you tried squeezing the primer bulb when the problem occurs?

"Yeah, when you prime the syst

"Yeah, when you prime the system it'll "pressurize" the fuel once the float seals off the inlet... You've got a bowl full of fuel plus however much the pressure will supply afterwards (you'd be amazed at how much that is... Just try pulling the screen off the fuel pump with the bulb pumped up hard! EEK!! LOL...)

Anyway, once that pressure is relieved and a bit of the fuel is used up out of the bowl then if the fuel pump isn't pumping you'll start having problems...

If you can keep priming and it stays running then most likely it's the fuel pump... Rebuild kits are pretty cheap..."

Knowing the model motor would

Knowing the model motor would be a help.
Not knowing the model I'd say it sounds like a blockage/restriction in the mid-range / idle circuit of the carb. Low speed jet blocked?
I'd clean the jets and spray carb cleaner through all passages in the carb to be sure they are clear.
I doubt that the fuel pump is a concern since it keeps up at high speed.

Back