Logo

3 gal Johnson gas tank

SuperT

Regular Contributor
I just picked up one of these that is really clean inside. This one has a plastic vent that screws into the tank instead of through the filler cap. I've never had one like this, and was just wondering if the vent ever goes bad and needs replacement or don't worry about it.

I did remove it to make sure it was clean and venting (air moves both ways), but then started wondering how the heck it kept moisture/rain from entering the tank also since it's flat on top.

Your thoughts

If it passes air both ways, it is bad. It is supposed to let air into the tank, but not allow air/fuel to slop back out when full. The next question is do you care? It will work that way, but fuel slopping out isn't a good idea. Also, modern laws do not even allow vapors to exit. Again, do you care?

Is this a screw vent that can be closed?

No, this is a round plastic vent that screws int the top of the tank a couple inches from the suction tube. Same threads for both. From what I can find out, this arraignment was used for about 4 years in the late 70's, then I think they went to the vented fill cap.

Part # for it is 383783

I prefer the steel tanks also, and when I come across one that is extremely clean/no rust inside, I will keep and use it.

I still haven't heard a definitive answer for thequestion I asked on the vent though. Hopefully one of our resident experts can provide me with an answer.

I prefer the steel tanks also, and when I come across one that is extremely clean/no rust inside, I will keep and use it.

I still haven't heard a definitive answer for thequestion I asked on the vent though. Hopefully one of our resident experts can provide me with an answer.
Read post #2

Amazingly our dealer in town had one (after looking for what seemed forever), and let me have it for a great price. I've pulled the suction tube and it looks good but I did flush it out with carb cleaner

Can anyone supply me with the part# for the gas cap gasket? Every place I've looked only lists the complete filler cap and no breakdown for the gasket .

I was kinda getting that feeling as I was searching for it, since it was always listed as an assembly. The one in the cap has a couple small cracks in the perimeter but is still very usable. Just thought that I would take care of that also while I'm in the mood.

Back