Logo

3.7 Won't stay running

Ok I think I'm gonna rebuild the carb myself.

JCat, can you give me a brief rundown on correcting the two problems you just mentioned?

Battery's dead now, so I have to recharge and won't be working on it until Sunday night...and getting the rebuild kit.

To clean the carb, do I need to dunk it or will a pressurized can be enough?

You should keep using the original post.

It isn't necessary to dunk the whole carb unless there is alot of gum in the bowl area. My last rebuild was on a 2 year old factory reman. I soaked the removeable parts in a gallon can of carb cleaner. The bowl was given a good dose of Deep Creep by SeaFoam. Spray it into the fuel passages and let it soak several hours or o'night. Then spray the passages w/carb cleaner and compressed air. I use a rubber tipped nozzle to seal the passages for more air pressure to blow out gunk.

I have also used laquer thinner (outdoors due to its toxicity and volitility--fire) to clean heavy deposits from the bowl and venturies. Small parts were put into a small plastic butter bowl w/the lid on it. The bowl was covered w/plastic wrap. Place the parts in the shade. Blow dry w/comp. air.

Ok great thanks!

Well I just noticed tonight that now I'm not getting any spark. And the wire that goes from the ignition coil to the electric choke was getting EXTREMELY HOT. Start smoking kinda hot. So I turned everything off on the boat and haven't done anything else. Wondering if the new electric ignition and/or coil is bad.

Well I haven't done anything. I let it sit all weekend long and came home Sunday night and tried to start it (any gas should've been evaporated so no potential for immediate flooding). I tested the coil for spark and wasn't getting anything so I plugged everything back in, tried to start again and one of the purple wires going to the coil was smoking about to catch on fire.

Now I'm wondering if its electrical. Still haven't had a chance to put a fuel filter on but now that I'm not getting spark, I need to correct that problem first.

What are the odds of having a bad coil and would the wires going to it get really hot if it were bad?

What are the odds of having a bad coil and would the wires going to it get really hot if it were bad?

Don't know the chances but the wire is probably the resistor wire. Bad coil could make it get hot and a defective resistor wire itself would make it smoke.

I'm wondering if I have a bad coil somehow. I got it from a place that had only one in stock and the type of place this was it has probably been sitting FOREVER so I wonder if that would have anything to do with anything. I'm just grasping for air now. Gonna return the Ignitor and Flamethrower coil I got and order an Ignitor II and Flamethrower II anyways now that this one is bad...thanks for all the help.

Back