Logo

3.0 merc died and now there is no spark

vroomZOOM

Regular Contributor
Hello

This merc gave me a few problems, including a stupid steering pin that got so siezed up that it wouldnt let me steer, forcing me to pull everything apart, then I screwed up the engine mounting, then the fuel gauge broke etc. now I got a new one that has me stumped. A few days ago I was water skiing, dropped a ski (my dad was driving) then after a while I decided to do something stupid and of course I fell off. well, I got picked up, boat started and ran fine, until after a couple of minutes it just died (it was running at about 1500 rpm when it died). well I thought it I ran outta gas b/c the fuel gauge doesnt work yet. well I had a jerry can with me so I filled er up but no dice. motor turns over as usual, but no firing. I pulled the flame arrestor off thinking maybe the pump didnt prime but I disconnected the throttle linkage and pushed the throttle crank with my finger and there is gas squirting out of the accelerator pump. well then I thought it must be spark. when cranking over there is no sign of firing and if I crank a while I start to smell gas. Of course I run the blower cuz I dont want my still cheap boat, even after so much parts, to blow :). I pulled the wire off of the coil, and yes there is spark from the coil when cranking, but nothing from any distributor terminal. Well I though yep I shouldda done the cap and rotor, part of regular maintenance.well the marina did not have a cap and rotor, so our friend towed us back to the ramp. just bought a cap and rotor today, put them in AAANNNDDD.... nothing. same thing, nothing from the distributor, but the coil still zaps. What the heck is going on?

Back