Logo

3.0 is shot, can i swap it out for a 5.0/5.7?

i was looking into staying with the 3.0 but i was trying to figure out what other manufractur used the same block. i was looking at pictured of the 3.0 on the omc cobra and the volvo and they look the same other then the manifold and riser as my 3.0. if that is the case then why couldnt i get one of of thoes and swap my part over?

Hi I see his thread is older but I am curious if you were up to the challenged! I am curious if you did it! put in a 5.0l? Times have changed drastically. I have a 2007 sea ray 18.5 sport with a 3 l. I bought used in 2009 in 12k Canadian and I went looking for similar boats. I saw my boat at the Toronto boat show 2022 for 42K. I nearly **** my pants. I am hoping to get a smaller boat 19' with a larger engine but most need to be 20' to get the larger engine however there are some models with a 4.3 or 4.5 l; however the are 45K to 100K. Looking at https://www.marinepartpress.com/mercenginepkgs.html i see a 5.O L FOR 16k.

Should I start a new thread ?

Last edited:
Hi I see his thread is older but I am curious if you were up to the challenged! I am curious if you did it! put in a 5.0l? Times have changed drastically. I have a 2007 sea ray 18.5 sport with a 3 l. I bought used in 2009 in 12k Canadian and I went looking for similar boats. I saw my boat at the Toronto boat show 2022 for 42K. I nearly **** my pants. I am hoping to get a smaller boat 19' with a larger engine but most need to be 20' to get the larger engine however there are some models with a 4.3 or 4.5 l; however the are 45K to 100K. Looking at https://www.marinepartpress.com/mercenginepkgs.html i see a 5.O L FOR 16k.

Should I start a new thread ?

Yes,.....

It's not worth it. This will cost more than the current value of the boat. After you're done, you still have a boat that's only worth what it was before you did all this. Sell it and find one that fits your lifestyle. Don't forget to add in the $3000 for the transom shield and another 3 or so for installation.

Last edited:
Back