Logo

3.0 inline 4 FWC pumping atifreeze out through the overflow.

doc_2048

I have a 1977 glasply FWC inline 4 I just replace the engine with a remanufactured long block. Put it in and fired it up ok but when the thermostat reached 140 and opened antifreeze started pumping out the over flow. , I didn't have a hose on the overflow and pumped all over the engine. Anyone have a idea what the heck happened. I really don't want to take it to a mechanic. Can't find anything for trouble shooting online or in manual.

The pressure cap on the tank should not have opened when the temp reached 140 F. Pressure test the cap.

Once you get this bug worked out, install an engine coolant recovery system.
The pressure cap must be correct for a recovery system, and you'll need a reservoir that fills and siphons from the lowest section.

Thanks for the reply's, It doe's have a reservoir, I will try a new cap. I posted a pic of what I have. DSCN3479 (1024x768).jpg

Take the cap w/you and test it at the parts store...you want to be sure it is not working. Don't replace it if not necessary.

Take the cap w/you and test it at the parts store...you want to be sure it is not working. Don't replace it if not necessary.

Thanks Guy, good idea. will help me diagnose it better. I didn't know they would test caps. We have a Napa and they are pretty good. I need to run another 5 minutes and then dump the break-in oil. If I can stop this problem I will be close for sea trials. ;) P.S. after further reading the "similar Threads" I found more info. I thought I had a reservoir with the small cylinder tank with the cap mounted on it. I need a plastic reservoir like in a car,, DUH. It has been a learning experience for me. Best hobby I ever had. Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Goog luck...these projects are a labor of love but the end results make it worth the trouble and a great learning experience.

Back