Logo

280 power trim

scorpion

hi to everyone.i am having a problem with my power trim.when i put my drive up while up on the trailer it will creep down slowly.sometimes it will take a day and then sometimes it can be 20 mins.this can be a problem because it happens on the way to the launch.any suggestions on how to cure this would be great. thanks.happy memorial day.

There is/was a 280 PT drive in the early 80's.
If you have this drive, your issue could be one of several.
It could be a leaking cylinder, a bad hydraulic hose..., or it cold be an internal valve leak within the pump unit.
Does your drive transom shield look like this one?

7188_big.png

If not, then you have a standard 280 with a mechanical Lift Out device.
These can allow a drive to lower when trailering simply from bouching.
There is a clutch within the unit that would be causing this...... and it is normal.
You need to strap this drive up to be on the safe side, IMO.

The determining thing is item #80 et al in Rick's diagram. If you don't have one, per Rick, you have a power lift, not trim. Power lifts need external mechanical support (either using the special bracket that comes with the drive, or with a line tied tightly from one stern cleat around prop hub to the other stern cleat)

that is the drive i have.i.dont have external leaks. i guess it must be an internal leak,whats the fix ?thanks. by the way what are the differences on the aq series drives mine is a 280 but if you ask around all the parts seem to interchange

The older drives were call Aquamatics! I believe that you can still find the term being used for the newer Volvo drives, but the term seems to stick best with any of the drives prior to the Gimbal System suspension type drives..... i.e., when the Cobra SX and Volvo SX came to be.

And yes, there is quite an interchangeability with the AQ series, but you must know which does so with what other drive!
In your case, for all intents, yours is a 280..... minus the P/T system, suspension fork and transom shield.
For example.... all lower units will interchange (minus gear ratio differences) with the correct shimming being performed.
All transmissions in this series are of the same ratio.... but again, we must re-shim when swapping one.

Your pump will need to be taken apart..... possibly nothing more than debris in the valve itself.

Find this schematic on DougRussell.com site, and look up SEQ# 98, and see if parts are available.
Or call D/R or a Volvo Penta dealer directly.

Back