Logo

280 outdrive clamping ring

mrmahi

Aloha,
Tore apart three outdrives and all had severe corrosion where the clamping ring meets the bearing box. Seems this is a problem on DSCN1062.jpgsaltwater 280's? Have enclosed pics...any chance of saving these? Seems like they are gone to me, but just wanted to ask the experts!
Thanks in advance
DSCN1064.jpg

I have run into this same thing many times. The issue is that any transmission prior to the "A" drive (200, 250, 270, 280, 275, 285 first gen 290) were "wet area" clamping collar bolts..... and if not sealed well, we end up loosing this little section like what you see there.

We can seal the bolt threads with no issues, but water travels up the bolt shank and into this area. Of course the special shoulder and washer check it at the cap screw head.
Quicksilver Perfect Seal or Permatex #3 works fairly well here, but is no guarantee.

You usually won't risk getting any water inside of the transmission, but you will risk getting it inside of the bellows area.... of which eventually takes out the seal washer and seal.... and you know what that leads to!

(the "A" transmissions and later, are an integral BB/clamping collar, and use a gasket type shim affair, and it is easy to keep these bolts dry.)

The earlier 280 collars are expensive at about $360 each.... unless you can find used, but of course a used one will need to be re-simmed as to clamp the BB properly, yet maintain close to ZERO clearance between the collar and gear case.

Not sure what to suggest, other than replacing, or sealing this as well as you can... including the aft-most O-ring, then run it, and then peel the bellows back for an inspection.

Rick

I see it all the time also Rick. As you do, just throw some "aviation sealer" on it and stick it together. I don't think there's that much of a chance to hurt anything. I'll bet I have seen more like these than ones in 1oo% shape.

Gary and Rick,
Thanks again for all of the info. Need to check my supply of Permatex! I am going to eventually rebuild all three of these outdrives; #1 will have to replace only two of the small bearings on the verticle shaft in the lower (and the needles on the upper,,,cheap insurance) #2 I will have to replace almost all of the bearings, but will use the best components af all three drives, so it will be almost new, bearing wise #3 will do at a later date, as it has some issues such as a stuck needle bearing cage in the lower. All are being prepped for paint now, I start with removing the corrosion to bare metal, spotting those areas with a zinc primer, then any filling and sanding Hit it with an epoxy primer over the entire drive, and then finally the topcoat, a honda grey I have leftover from a previous paintjob.
Still getting all the machined surfaces flat and true, then need to sand in stages before priming.
Gary, I finally got that gear off the propeller shaft today. Bent my press, so I had to "coax" it out with a sledge and a pipe...broke my sledge handle in the process. The other two gears pressed off as easy as you please on the other propeller shafts.
Thanks again guys.
Aloha

I see it all the time also Rick. As you do, just throw some "aviation sealer" on it and stick it together. I don't think there's that much of a chance to hurt anything. I'll bet I have seen more like these than ones in 1oo% shape.
That can and will help, but the important area that is prone to breaching a good seal, is where the aft-most O-ring is to fully contact the full circumferance of the inner bore inside of the clamping collar.
I can almost always get the bolts to seal, but that O-ring for me is the greater issue.
What say yee, Mr. Gary?

Gary and Rick,
Thanks again for all of the info. ...................
#1 will have to replace only two of the small bearings on the verticle shaft in the lower (and the needles on the upper,,,cheap insurance)

#2 I will have to replace almost all of the bearings, but will use the best components af all three drives, so it will be almost new, bearing wise

#3 will do at a later date, as it has some issues such as a stuck needle bearing cage in the lower. All are being prepped for paint now, I start with removing the corrosion to bare metal, spotting those areas with a zinc primer, then any filling and sanding Hit it with an epoxy primer over the entire drive, and then finally the topcoat, a honda grey I have leftover from a previous paintjob.

Still getting all the machined surfaces flat and true, then need to sand in stages before priming.

Gary, I finally got that gear off the propeller shaft today. Bent my press, so I had to "coax" it out with a sledge and a pipe...broke my sledge handle in the process. The other two gears pressed off as easy as you please on the other propeller shafts.
Thanks again guys.
Aloha

# 1, of the two upper-most lower unit vertical shaft bearings, the lower one is a control bearing..... and is actually an angular contact bearing.
Once installed and the drive is back together....., this bearing does little work load. The tapered roller bearing just above it takes the greater work load!

Note that when shimming above the tapered roller bearing race (to the Intermediate housing), that this is a "Negative" preload...... not "positive"! (some get confused on this)

# 2 Will work as long as your gear pattern is good!
The main prop shaft bearing is also an angular contact bearing..... and a pretty critical one.

In the future.... should you do this again....., heat is your friend! You'd be surprised at what a little bit of heat will do when trying to remove, or replace, a tight fitting gear/bearing.

NOTE and just an FYI here:
I can't emphasize enough on how many main drive gear bearings that I am seeing in need of replacement these days. It used to be that it was rare....., now I am seeing about 90% of the V-8 transmissions in need of this replacement. (these would be the tapered roller bearings at the main drive gear)
These too are bearings that you can purchase from a bearing supplier.
Setting the correct rolling torque value is critical here.

The two "driven gear" angular contact bearings usually survive very well!

OH.... check the slinger pump pins. Some have two, some only one. Loose a pin, and you loose oil circulation and upper unit cooling.

Good luck.
I admire your fortitude in taking this on when you have not done one before!

n the future.... should you do this again....., heat is your friend! You'd be surprised at what a little bit of heat will do when trying to remove, or replace, a tight fitting gear/bearing.

Yep, tried lots of heat the first day along with Kroil, beeswax, and PB Blaster to no avail. Soaked it for about a week and a half periodically with the above, came back yesterday
and ended up bending my press. Decided to heat the heck out of it (only on the large bearing and hub…being mindful of the gear surfaces) Got it super hot and bent the press again.
That is when I decided to try the BFH J It actually worked pretty well, no damage to the gear teeth, etc.

NOTE and just an FYI here:
I can't emphasize enough on how many main drive gear bearings that I am seeing in need of replacement these days. It used to be that it was rare.....,
now I am seeing about 90% of the V-8 transmissions in need of this replacement. (these would be the tapered roller bearings at the main drive gear)
These too are bearings that you can purchase from a bearing supplier.
Setting the correct rolling torque value is critical here.

Thank you, these are # 183247…about $60 apiece from a bearing supplier? I know on two drives they were shot…seemed ok on one, but I will double check.
Is the ball bearing behind this one usually OK?

The two "driven gear" angular contact bearings usually survive very well!

OH.... check the slinger pump pins. Some have two, some only one. Loose a pin, and you loose oil circulation and upper unit cooling.

Ok…I have not taken these off…will do and make a check

Good luck.
I admire your fortitude in taking this on when you have not done one before!

Thank you very much! This is the 4th time I have been in the upper gearbox…but still could not get the reverse clunk to go away.
Only had the propeller shaft out of the lower once about 5 years ago for a partial reseal. Learning as I go.

Thank you all very much for your help…it is invaluable! I will try to keep this updated with pics of my progress, trails and tribulations.
Mahalos!

Back