Logo

270 OD, film of oil when launched

discobayken

Regular Contributor
When I put the boat in the water a slight film of oil comes off the top of the OD. Not a ton but enough to notice. when I check the OD dipstick.. the drive oil is clear and clean so I dont think I'm getting any water intrusion. Is this condition normal?

Thanks in advance. The info provided on this forum is invaluable.

Ken

When I put the boat in the water a slight film of oil comes off the top of the OD. Not a ton but enough to notice. when I check the OD dipstick.. the drive oil is clear and clean so I dont think I'm getting any water intrusion. Is this condition normal?

Thanks in advance. The info provided on this forum is invaluable.

Ken

It's probably some oil left in the area from last time you unscrewed the dipstick. It could also be oil coming from the shifting mechanism seal or leftover from any lubricant you may have been using (or spilled) in that area. I would try to use some degreaser and clean the area, then take it from there.

It may be "normal" if someone has recently worked on the drive. The oil slick may be a result of grease or ???? on the drive.

If you do have a leak, the oil won't become milky until the oil has had a chance to become hydrogenated by running it.
Best to drain the oil and perform a Pressure/Vacuum leak-down test.
If she won't hold, you'd better reseal it.

Yes, I find that the shift mech seal is a must-replace item moreso than other areas.
If this seal is black or brown, it is not a current seal.

I had checked the oil after about a 2 hour run and it was clear. I noticed the "oil slick" the last couple times I dumked her. Like I said... it was minor but caught my eye. I'll keep my eye on it and see about doing the test.

Is the leakdown test something I can do myself? what kind of pressure tester is needed for that? If its affordable I'd rather buy one than pay someone to do it.

Thanks!

Ken

Could be a rich fuel mixture with a little left over from the last time out idleing it onto the trailer???? Doesn't have to be the drive. Drip a drop of gas on any body of water and watch how far that rainbow goes.

Back